• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Help

I found (1) in a document and I do not know why the absence of "the" before "consideration". Please englighten me.

1. My school asked to postpone consideration of the rule change proposal to allow for sufficient time for review by faculty.

2. Why not "My school asked to postpone the consideration of the rule change proposal to allow for sufficient time for review by faculty.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by kooiu View Post
    I found (1) in a document and I do not know why the absence of "the" before "consideration". Please englighten me.

1. My school asked to postpone consideration of the rule change proposal to allow for sufficient time for review by faculty.

2. Why not "My school asked to postpone the consideration of the rule change proposal to allow for sufficient time for review by faculty.
    Probably because the phrase "consideration of the rule change" is the name of the proposal; e.g., my school asked to postpone the proposal called consideration of the rule change ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you Soup for your response. But I am still confused because in another writing I found a similar thing at SudanTribune article : ICC Judges begin consideration of Sudan president arrest warrant

1.a. "The Judges of the International Criminal Court (ICC) have officially started consideration of the application by prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo..."

1.b. Why not "The Judges of the International Criminal Court (ICC) have officially started the consideration of the application by prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo ..."

I also found this at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022803722.html
    2.a. "Senate Republicans yesterday blocked consideration of a bill designed to prop up the struggling housing industry..."

2.b. Why not "Senate Republicans yesterday blocked the consideration of a bill designed to prop up the struggling housing industry..."
    Last edited by kooiu; 30-Sep-2008 at 22:04. Reason: clarity

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

There's a pattern there: noun + of .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Soup,
    Please I really did not connect with your reply about "There is a pattern..." in light of your earlier reply. Does that mean that "noun + of" implies no use of the definite article. I would like more explaination about why the absence of "the" is appropriate in the three sentences: because the three sentences use "consideration of" in "general", "abstract", "specific", or "concrete" sense or what?????. Does the use of "consideration of" refer to "an instance of consideration or what"?

I am totally confused about all this. Please help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by kooiu View Post

"Consideration" can be used with or without "the".
    Similar words are "discussion, judgement, approval" and no doubt many more.
    "Please read the proposal prior to discussion." This means "Read it before discussing it"
    "...postpone consideration of the rule change..." means "postpone considering the rule change."
    "Await judgement from the authorities".
    "Do you have approval from your parents?" (the approval of your parents).

With the "the", it means that there is a set "consideration" or "discussion" planned. Without the "the", there is not necessarily a formal discussion, etc. planned. "Read it before discussing it".

i am a retired teacher and English testing professional.

The word 'the' is an article. The use or non use of 'the' in this particular case can be used as you wish. Both ways are correct. "The" is use to show emphasis. The use of articles are very hard to understand. Don't worry about it. I'll try to get some formal rules for you in my next response.

Chrisbab
    Last edited by chrisbab; 02-Oct-2008 at 08:35. Reason: Typing error

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you all for your help. I am very grateful for your explanations. Thank you.

You are welcome. It was my pleasure. As I promised, I have found a page for you to visit. it is Usage Rules for Articles

This page talks about the rules used with 'articles.' I hope this helps.

Chrisbab