to sweeten

In its literal sense, it means to "make sth sweet". (But please, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Similarily, is there a word (verb) that means to make something tasty?

thanks a lot
    Raen
    Last edited by Raen; 01-Oct-2008 at 04:10.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: to sweeten

By chance I've been compiling of adjective/verb pairs formed by adding '-en'. When I've put it into an acceptable format, I'll post it here. Unfortunately, it doesn't include "tasty". I think the reason may be that "sweet" is 'atomic' (by which I mean it can't be broken down), whereas "tasty" is not (as it has already been formed by the addition of the suffix -y to the noun "taste"). (I'm not saying, BTW, that you can't append two or more suffixes to one root; I'm just saying that "-en" seems to require this sort of 'atomic' adjective-root.)

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In AmE, "sweeten" can either literally mean to add sugar or artificial sweetener to a recipe, or it can mean to make a proposition more appealing or attractive. Examples:

The XYZ Company was trying to lure Bob away from his present company, and offered him a huge increase in salary. When he hesitated, they offered a company car and expense account to sweeten the deal.

Hal: "Would you like to go out to a movie with me this Friday?"
    Blanche: "No thank you, I already have plans."
    Hal: "But my dad said I could use his Cadillac."
    Blanche: "As much as that sweetens the pot*, I still can't cancel my other engagement."

*"pot" in this example is a reference to card games, and the amount of money at stake per hand.

Thank you Bob and Ouisch.

By chance I've been compiling of adjective/verb pairs formed by adding '-en'.
    I'm very much looking forward to it.

Someone has suggested the word "season", but I'm not quite sure it has the direct and positive effect (such as that of "sweeten", either that be literal or metaphoric) of making sth tasty. Depending on who's cooking, the seasoning itself can produce a different result.

What do you people think about "flavour"? Likewise, do native speakers say, "Let me flavor the deal a bit........"

Thanks

Raen

In a recipe, to season something generally is taken to mean add salt, pepper and possibly herbs or spices. To sweeten something is specifically to add sugar, honey or other sweetening substances.

I have never had anyone suggest that they could flavour a deal. They might offer to sweeten it - usually a not very subtle hint about a bribe.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    In a recipe, to season something generally is taken to mean add salt, pepper and possibly herbs or spices. To sweeten something is specifically to add sugar, honey or other sweetening substances.

I have never had anyone suggest that they could flavour a deal. They might offer to sweeten it - usually a not very subtle hint about a bribe.

And there is a related (informal) word for a bribe - a 'sweetener'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raen View Post
    In its literal sense, it means to "make sth sweet". (But please, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Similarily, is there a word (verb) that means to make something tasty?

thanks a lot
    Raen
    Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is sometimes referred to as a 'flavour enhancer' (as in the first sentence of that Wikipedia article), but that's a very formal-sounding expression. What MSG does, in colloquial language, is heighten the flavour (there's another one for my list ).

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Here's my list. I've not included quite a few variants (mostly rare, in my experience). The '?' in the first column marks a pair that is not regular (where the verb is not just adj. + -en). If you can't handle .ZIP, send me a PM and I'll mail you the .XLS (which prints on one side of A4).

b
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Bob, I will check it out now. Thanks again.

Raen