• Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

Mounting-block and tided

George Orwell

Down and Out in Paris and London

There were the indecent pictures in the bar, and the Norman decorations—sham beams on the walls, electric lights done up as candlesticks, ‘peasant’ pottery, even a mounting-block at the door—and the PATRON and the head waiter were Russian officers, and many of the customers tided Russian refugees. In short, we were decidedly chic.

Could you help me understand these two words.

Michael

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mounting-block and tided

Quote Originally Posted by Grablevskij View Post
    George Orwell

Down and Out in Paris and London

There were the indecent pictures in the bar, and the Norman decorations—sham beams on the walls, electric lights done up as candlesticks, ‘peasant’ pottery, even a mounting-block at the door—and the PATRON and the head waiter were Russian officers, and many of the customers tided Russian refugees. In short, we were decidedly chic.

Could you help me understand these two words.

Michael
    Mounting block - a block on which you stand in order to mount your horse with ease. http://www.saddleshop.com/sentinel/images/rj3.jpg

"tided" = misprint for "titled"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a teacher.

Hi Grablevskij,

I adore George Orwell.

I should add, by the way, that the Auberge was not the ordinary cheap eating-house frequented by students and workmen. We did not provide an adequate meal at less than twenty-five francs, and we were picturesque and artistic, which sent up our social standing. There were the indecent pictures in the bar, and the Norman decorations—sham beams on the walls, electric lights done up as candlesticks, ‘peasant’ pottery, even a mounting-block at the door—and the PATRON and the head waiter were Russian officers, and many of the customers tided Russian refugees. In short, we were decidedly chic.

There are my guesswork concerning the expressions in question.

Door-closing assembly - Patent 7305796

5. The door-closing assembly as claimed in claim 4, wherein the mounting block has two curve sides opposite to each other, and a thread is formed on the curve sides of the mounting block; and the fastening device has a fastening ring engaging with the thread on the mounting block.

tide (v) = support, be of help, give s.o a leg, help to break the neck of a task

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 01-Oct-2008 at 21:19.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    I’m not a teacher.

Hi Grablevskij,

I adore George Orwell.

I should add, by the way, that the Auberge was not the ordinary cheap eating-house frequented by students and workmen. We did not provide an adequate meal at less than twenty-five francs, and we were picturesque and artistic, which sent up our social standing. There were the indecent pictures in the bar, and the Norman decorations—sham beams on the walls, electric lights done up as candlesticks, ‘peasant’ pottery, even a mounting-block at the door—and the PATRON and the head waiter were Russian officers, and many of the customers tided Russian refugees. In short, we were decidedly chic.

There are my guessworks concerning the expressions in question.

Door-closing assembly - Patent 7305796

5. The door-closing assembly as claimed in claim 4, wherein the mounting block has two curve sides opposite to each other, and a thread is formed on the curve sides of the mounting block; and the fastening device has a fastening ring engaging with the thread on the mounting block.

tide (v) = support, be of help, give s.o a leg, help to break the neck of a task

Regards,

V.
    On this occasion, both guesses are misleading. The mounting block in terms of an inn at that time cannot be a patented door closing registered in 2006. It would make absolutely no sense at all.

And what would "support, be of help" have to do with Russian refugees, of which there were many titled ones in 1920s Paris following the Revolution?

You really must look more carefully at the context concerned.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

That patent was issued many years after Orwell died - in fact, less than a year ago: US Patents Issued in Dec. 11, 2007 - Browse by Date - PatentStorm . I haven't read the patent in detail, but unless there's an appendix that covers time travel I think your guess is wrong.

I think both Anglika's suggestions are much more likely.

Thank you for admitting that your suggestions are guesses; 'guesswork', incidentally is uncountable.

b