• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

still vs yet (2)

Tim Harper ... comes off as being a better leader or government official yet I see no attempt on his part to suggest anything better.

Hi there,

It's hard to understand when to use these words in texts like the one above. Why is it "yet" instead of "still", please?

In the following sentences, are "yet" and "still" correctly used, please?

"Yet there are a lot of problems to be fixed in order to change the situation, I'll do all I can."

"Still, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to change this situation".

Thanks.
    Last edited by jctgf; 01-Oct-2008 at 18:35.

Re: still vs yet (2)

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    Tim Harper ... comes off as being a better leader or government official yet I see no attempt on his part to suggest anything better.

Hi there,

It's hard to understand when to use these words in texts like the one above. Why is it "yet" instead of "still", please? Because here it has the meaning: but in spite of that.

In the following sentences, are "yet" and "still" correctly used, please?

"Yet there are a lot of problems to be fixed in order to change the situation, I'll do all I can." No >> Although there are....

"Still, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to change this situation".Yes - here it has the meaning of "nevertheless", which could be used instead.

Thanks.