1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Synonyms

Hi, I'm a new member to this forum, but I've been visiting it many time before. I find your advice very helpful so I finally decided to join in.
    Could you tell me which sentence is more correct (or just sounds better):
    Applicants are given an exam to attest their knowledge of the English language.
    Applicants are given an exam to confirm their knowledge of the English language.
    Is there any difference in meaning? If you have a better suggestion please tell.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Synonyms

Quote Originally Posted by mrky View Post
    Hi, I'm a new member to this forum, but I've been visiting it many time before. I find your advice very helpful so I finally decided to join in.
    Could you tell me which sentence is more correct (or just sounds better):
    Applicants are given an exam to confirm their knowledge of the English language.
    Is there any difference in meaning? If you have a better suggestion please tell.
    The exam tests their knowledge, and lets them confirm it. I would prefer 'Applicants are given an exam to let them show/demonstrate their knowledge of the English language.'

b

Applicants are given an exam to test their knowledge of the English language.
    If there is some doubt about the reliability of the test, or if an inflated score was obtained by cheating - or any doubt about the true level of their knowledge of the English language, then

[COLOR="Blue"]Applicants were given an oral exam/a second exam to confirm the previous result.

The high scores on this exam attest to the applicant's capacity to undertake employment requiring a good knowledge of the English language.
    attest: 'provide or serve as clear evidence of'
    compare:
    In the first sentence, we are testing to determine the level of their knowledge.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Thanks!
    I meant to say that the applicants need to prove they know English. Since it doesn't come across from these sentences I should keep it simple: Applicants are given an exam to test their knowledge of the English language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Or just '...their knowledge of English'