• Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Smile get the out of

Please, dear teachers and friends,

Could you shed a light on this:

Well, the thing is, I am wondering whether a sentence like this could be OK:

Get the out of my house!

I know people usually say something not so nice like 'get the f* out of my car', but, is that sentence possible too?

I heard that somewhere, don't know exactly where, maybe it was just a dream or something.

If so, could you please show a couple of examples using the 'the', people usually say that when they are upset about something.

Get the out ...
    Get the ...
    Get the ...

Thanks a thousand!

Re: get the out of

Get the hell out of my car.

Get the f*** out of my car.

Out of
    would most probably be pronounced "outta" in these sentences.

Variations are possible.

Get out of my f***ing car.

Get out of my god damn car.

Get your (god damn/f***ing) ass/arse out of my car.

With profanities, the possibilities are endless

However there's rarely a need to use them (except for the most extreme, emotionally distraught instances). But even then a cold, calculated and calmly uttered demand can have just as much of an unsettling/insisting tone if delivered correctly.

Nonetheless, swearing has its place in language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Smile Re: get the out of

OK, thank you colloquium, but that's not exactly what I am looking for, but you answered fine, and I don't know exactly what I am asking.

Actually, I heard somewhere a very upset woman who said to her husband,

get the xxxx of me!

So I am trying to remember what she said, I guess possibilities are endless, aren't they?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: get the out of

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    OK, thank you colloquium, but that's not exactly what I am looking for, but you answered fine, and I don't know exactly what I am asking.

Actually, I heard somewhere a very upset woman who said to her husband,

get the xxxx off me!

So I am trying to remember what she said, I guess possibilities are endless, aren't they?

Thanks!
    Quite a few! Apart from f***, there are - in order of strength - hell, heck, and blazes (which all mean the same - in adjectival contexts it's possible to use the more academic 'infernal). I've also heard 'dickens', but that's rather mannered now; in the nineteenth and early twentieth century 'dickens' was a popular substitute for 'hell' - in several contexts: 'What the dickens are you doing here?', 'There was the dickens of a noise'... in Guys and Dolls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Miss Adelaide sings about 'the chickens' which are 'going to the dickens'.

To avoid saying 'hell' (or anything stronger), I've heard people saying nothing: 'What the [pause] are you doing?' there is also a convention whereby you can report speech containing profanities by substituting the word 'blank': 'He asked me what the blank I was doing.'

b

PS Of course, if it is 'off', the possibilities really are almost endless, as the 'X' could be any noun: 'Get the ladder/pudding/spider... off me'. If, on the other hand. it's really 'of', possible contexts are pretty unlikely but comparative adjectives are also possible: 'Get the better of me'...
    Last edited by BobK; 05-Oct-2008 at 13:27. Reason: Added PS