Nowhere near as much as I wish it was true, friend.

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could take a look for me at this sentence: Nowhere near as much as I wish it was true, friend.
    What does this one mean? Does D.B.Cooper mean: I do not wish it was true at all. ?

Thanks for your help.

Michael: I heard you were D.B. Cooper.
    D.B.Cooper: Every new fish comes in here, first thing they hear, is that Charles Westmoreland is D.B. Cooper. I'll tell you like I tell them... You want the Cooper story? I can't give it to you, 'cause I'm not him.
    M: It's too bad. Sort of wish it was true. The man's a legend.
    D: Nowhere near as much as I wish it was true, friend. I'd have a million- five waiting for me on the outside. I'd put some grass under them if I were you.

Re: Nowhere near as much as I wish it was true, friend.

M - I heard you were D.B. Cooper.
    C - Every new fish comes in here , first thing they hear is that Charles Westmoreland is D.B. Cooper. I'll tell you like I tell them... You want the Cooper story? I can't give it to you, 'cause I'm not him.
    M - It's too bad. Sort of wish it was true/I wish you were him (because I'd like to meet him because...). The man's a legend.
    C - Nowhere near as much as I wish it was true, friend.
    I'd have a million- five waiting for me on the outside.

meaning:However strong your wish to meet him, it is insignificant compared to how much I would actually like to be him - not just because he's a legend, but because I'd have $US 1.5 million waiting for me when I get out of prison.

Is your wish as strong as mine? NO.
    Nearly as strong? NO - nowhere even close to it/ nowhere near as strong.

'nowhere near as much as...' is a common expression, meaning that as much as one person wishes something were so, my wish for the same thing is far, far stronger.
    little boy: Daddy, I wish we had won the Lottery instead of Mr Smith. Then you could buy me lots of toys. I wish it was you Daddy.
    Father: Not nearly as much as me, son (says Dad, thinking 'retire' 'holidays in the sun', 'new car' compared to son's simpler dream of 'lots of toys'
    Last edited by David L.; 05-Oct-2008 at 06:18.

Re: Nowhere near as much as I wish it was true, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    M - I heard you were D.B. Cooper.
    C - Every new fish comes in here , first thing they hear is that Charles Westmoreland is D.B. Cooper. I'll tell you like I tell them... You want the Cooper story? I can't give it to you, 'cause I'm not him.
    M - It's too bad. Sort of wish it was true/I wish you were him (because I'd like to meet him because...). The man's a legend.
    C - Nowhere near as much as I wish it was true, friend.
    I'd have a million- five waiting for me on the outside.

Thank you, David. I get it this time !