• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

of vs for

Future for Investment Banking or Future of Investment Banking.

Which one is correct? I've always got confused as to when to use 'for' and when to use 'of'. Could you please help me understand these two usages better?

Thanks

Re: of vs for

The Future of investment banking.

Prepositions are tricky in any language: with prepositions, there is no one to one correspondence between languages - in other words a preposition in French, say, doesn't correspond to one preposition only in English. It can correspond to several, depending on the context. And vice versa.

If you look up "of" in the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English", you will find it has 18 possible explanations, depending on the context.

And the preposition "for" in the same dictionary has 31.

In "English Grammar in Use" by Raymond Murphy, there are about 16 units on prepositions. Everything is very clearly explained and each unit has exercises to check you've understood. You can find these units listed in the index at the back of the book under the heading "Prepositions".

Good luck!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Mind you, you could say 'them future for investment banking' in some contexts. I'd use of when giving aclear ideas about the future, but if the future were uncertain, I could use for. With the troubles on Wall Street leaving the banks far less in control and dealing with the unplanned, we could say that the future for investment banking looks very bleak.

Future for Investment Banking or Future of Investment Banking.
    Which one is correct? I've always got confused as to when to use 'for' and when to use 'of'.

Your uncertainty is understandable, since the use of these two prepositions in this context is blurred in the press. Here are two examples of a correct use:

The Future of Investment Banking

I want to politely laugh at those who think that the financial sector (investment banking, to be more specific) is heading towards its demise and those who think that the current economic maelstrom is the metaphorical equivalent of an old fart on his deathbed.

10 Questions I Can Answer About the Future of Investment Banking

“Is this the end of Wall Street?”
    “Which bank is going to fail next?”
    So if you’re asking the same questions, don’t feel ignorant:
    1. Is This the End of Investment Banking?
    No. Companies always need to raise money, companies are always looking to buy, and companies are always looking to sell. As long as that demand exists, the industry will continue to exist.

Note that with the use of 'of', the writers are referring to the future (of investment banking in these examples) in terms of whether it has a future or will cease to exist as such.

The future for investment banking refers to the prospects for investment bankers in the current financial situation - such aspects as low profits, debts which they may have to 'write off', reorganization and changes in types of investments in the future, some further merges - that is, a rethinking of their business practices and strategies....but not the idea that they will all cease to trade.

So - the future of some individual company is in doubt if there is a possibility of their being bankrupt and going out of business.
    The future for a company may be good, or poor, depending on how much profit they expect for the coming financial year.
    Last edited by David L.; 06-Oct-2008 at 07:33.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Awesome!:)

David, you explained this specific to Investment banking rather you explained the difference in this particular case.. If there is such dilemma in any other usages, how can I get over them?

You asked the question using Investment Banking as an example.

I generalized this at the end of my post for clarity:

So - the future of some individual company is in doubt if there is a possibility of their being bankrupt and going out of business.
    The future for a company may be good, or poor, depending on how much profit they expect for the coming financial year.