• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

proceed or continue?

Hello Everyone,

Can I use "proceed with" to take the place of "continue to carry out" in the following sentence?

We will continue to carry out the policy of opening to the outside world in all dimensions.

Regards

Sky

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Scotland
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: proceed or continue?

I'd say no. If you use "proceed" it suggests that you haven't started yet.

'continue' means to persist (=continue firmly or obstinately in an opinion or a course of action in spite of difficulty, opposition, or failure) in performing the action already begun.

'proceed' means to begin, or continue on from a certain point that has been reached, or after some interruption.

Hence, 'continue' is the appropriate word for your sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    'continue' means to persist (=continue firmly or obstinately in an opinion or a course of action in spite of difficulty, opposition, or failure) in performing the action already begun.

'proceed' means to begin, or continue on from a certain point that has been reached, or after some interruption.

Hence, 'continue' is the appropriate word for your sentence.
    Hi David,

You have presented here a acute explanaition, I feel!! How can you obtain the differences between them, from dictionary or just from your native language feeling?

By doing just what you are doing! - asking my mother and then all my teachers, and then dictionaries and grammar books as I grew older.

When I reply, it's easier for me to quote the definition from a dictionary because they have the meaning of a word expressed so much more succinctly than I could come up with off the top of my head.

I remember being flummoxed at the age of 5 and asking my mother the meaning of the expression, "There is no substitute for quality." (The slogan for Arnott's Biscuit Company in Australia). I couldn't grasp that level of abstraction.

I also recall asking a science teacher when I hit high school, 'what's the difference between a fluid and a liquid'. Even she asked me to leave it with her while she "thought about it".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    By doing just what you are doing! - asking my mother and then all my teachers, and then dictionaries and grammar books as I grew older.

When I reply, it's easier for me to quote the definition from a dictionary because they have the meaning of a word expressed so much more succinctly than I could come up with off the top of my head.

I remember being flummoxed at the age of 5 and asking my mother the meaning of the expression, "There is no substitute for quality." (The slogan for Arnott's Biscuit Company in Australia). I couldn't grasp that level of abstraction.

I also recall asking a science teacher when I hit high school, 'what's the difference between a fluid and a liquid'. Even she asked me to leave it with her while she "thought about it".
    However, I myself can't find the definiton you have given here from the dictionary! Teachers like you in the forum is the most important source I can depend on ! Thanks!!!