• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Lightbulb To or For ?

Hello, everybody !

I'll be very grateful if someone can help me with the use of "to" and "for".I teach English as a foreign language but I am not a native speaker.
    I always spend a long time correcting my students writing tasks,as I am often in doubt about the best way to say something.At this very moment I had to stop and ask for help.
    One of my students has written : "When he is singing I think it is TO me." Is that right or should it be " FOR" me ?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: To or For ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marise View Post
    Hello, everybody !

I'll be very grateful if someone can help me with the use of "to" and "for".I teach English as a foreign language but I am not a native speaker.
    I always spend a long time correcting my students writing tasks,as I am often in doubt about the best way to say something.At this very moment I had to stop and ask for help.
    One of my students has written : "When he is singing I think it is TO me." Is that right or should it be " FOR" me ?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Hi, welcome to the forums. One can sing to someone, you could sing to a baby to help it to go to sleep, or you could sing a love song to your lover, for example. One can also sing for someone, a singer on stage might say "This next song is for my wife." for example.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Never mind!

Click here, pls

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Marise View Post
    Hello, everybody !

Thanks a lot in advance.
    We usually speak English to eachother . Now during the break she is singing a song to me.

It was my duty to sing a song at the party , but I couldn’t . My friend sang a song for me .