Decomposing dificult sentences(with punctutions)

Hi teacher,

I have a severe problem of finding it difficult to understand complex sentences with lot of punctuations. Is thee any systemetic way to decode such esoteric sentences? Could you please help me with that by breaking the following sentence into few understandeble sentences? I came across this passage while reading a exercise book and couldn't understand the use of punctuations as well as the meaning. Thank you!

Of Homer's two epic poems,the Odyssey has always been more popular than the Iliad, perhaps because it includes more features of mythology that are accesible by readers.Its subject (to use Maynard Mack's categories) is "life-as spectacle," for readers, diverted by its various incidents, observe its hero Odyssey primarily from without; the tragic Iliad, however, presents "life-as-experience" : readers are asked to identify with the mind of Achilles, whose motivations render him a not particularly likable hero . In addition.....

pleas explain me the sentence written in italic.

Re: Decomposing dificult sentences(with punctutions)

Of Homer's two epic poems,the Odyssey has always been more popular than the Iliad, perhaps because it includes more features of mythology that are accesible by readers.Its subject (to use Maynard Mack's categories) is "life-as spectacle," for readers, diverted by its various incidents, observe its hero Odyssey primarily from without; the tragic Iliad, however, presents "life-as-experience" : readers are asked to identify with the mind of Achilles, whose motivations render him a not particularly likable hero . In addition.....

Pleaaaaase explain the meaning of that sentense. Please!