welfare, not sign the papers to give me temporary custody

Two months later, my sister was in a horrible seven-car pile up on the expressway. She was charged with reckless homicide and had to serve time in jail. I felt obligated to take in my two nieces age, six weeks, and three years old.

I was already having a difficult time feeding my four kids and now I had six kids to feed, clothe, and nurture, with one of them being a newborn. As you know, having a newborn is expensive when adding formula and diapers to your budget.

I was not able to get any assistance from welfare. Since my sister would not sign the papers to give me temporary custody (and I was $7.00 over their financial limit), I did not qualify for any public aid benefits.

Please explain the emboldened parts to me. I know the meanings of individual word's meaning but I cannot understand them altogether.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: welfare, not sign the papers to give me temporary custody

Welfare is money provided by the State (government) to those in society who cannot afford the basic necessities of life. You need to apply for it, and if you don't fit the criteria, you can't get "any assistance from Welfare."

In a divorce situation, one parent or the other is typically "awarded custody" of the children. Or both may have "joint custody" or from time to time, one parent or another party (person) may have "temporary custody." These decisions are made by the family court, and therefore are legal documents, and that's why the reference to signing the papers.

Thanks a lot jlinger for your help in all my threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    In a divorce situation, one parent or the other is typically "awarded custody" of the children. Or both may have "joint custody" or from time to time, one parent or another party (person) may have "temporary custody." These decisions are made by the family court, and therefore are legal documents, and that's why the reference to signing the papers.
    I'm sorry, I'm so poor in English that I couldn't understand your's the above explanation. [/quote]

This following is what I understood about it.

I was searching for welfare from the government for my sister's children but I couldn't get them because my sister wouldn't sign on the papers which allow her children to stay in the temporary custody provided by the government. So, finally I had to rear even her children.

Note : I understand the meaning of "temporary custody" as "a shelter provided by government for orphans"

"welfare" - in this context, it is the government department dealing those people who need public assistance.

not sign the papers to give me temporary custody - The writer's sister is refusing to sign the forms required by the Welfare Department which would allow the writer to look after the sister's children until the sister is released from prison.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

No, this would not be govenment custody. It said, "to give me temporary custody." That means the speaker had asked the government (the court) to give her custody of the children for a time. The speaker would become responsible for caring for the children during that time.

Thank you again - for both of you.

So I think because her sister didn't sign on the paper required by Welfare Department, she didn't get any benefits(money) from Welfare and she(speaker) had to spend her own money for her sister's children. Am I correct?

Correct - since her assets were over a certain limit, and her sister refused to sign the forms, she was not eligible to receive public financial support.