• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

whoever, would have done, afternoon

Dear teachers,

I have three questions to ask:

No.1
    I hope ______ that was involved in that accident this morning was all right.

a. anyone b. whoever
    The key is "b" but I think "a" is the correct answer. Is that right?

No.2
    If I had studied hard in theuniversity, I _____ things easy now.
    a. would have taken b. would be taking
    The key is "b", which means at the very moment the speaker says the sentence. But I think "a" is also correct since it is subjunctive mood. Is that right?

No.3
    We will leave for Spain ________.
    a. at 5 in the afternoon next Friday
    b. at 5 next Friday afternoon.
    The key is "b". Although "a" isn't a good sentence but it is correct. Is that right?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: whoever, would have done, afternoon

Gasp. Both alternatives in Sentence 1 are wrong. Wherever did you get this test!??

The correct answer there is "I hope that whomever was..." or at the very worst, "I hope that anyone who was..."

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    Gasp. Both alternatives in Sentence 1 are wrong. Wherever did you get this test!??

The correct answer there is "I hope that whomever was..." or at the very worst, "I hope that anyone who was..."
    Gasp. Sorry to contradict you jlinger but if "whoever" had been an option*, it is the subject, not the object, of the subordinate clause "whoever was involved...". So you can't have the accusative form whomever. Anyone choosing whomever would be "guilty" of **hypercorrection. No offence !

(*which it isn't because whoever can't be followed by that)

**See ** Routledge Dictionary of Language and Linguistics, Routledge 1996, p. 213

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Double Gasp! I must have been in my cups on that one. You are absolutely right, Naomi. WHOever, not WHOMever! I can't believe I even typed that!!

So, are you saying that since we agree you can't follow who-anything with "that", then the correct answer is Anyone? Isn't "anyone that" just as bad as "whoever that"? The test question is still wrong by imposing that "that" in there, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    Double Gasp! I must have been in my cups on that one. You are absolutely right, Naomi. WHOever, not WHOMever! I can't believe I even typed that!!

So, are you saying that since we agree you can't follow who-anything with "that", then the correct answer is Anyone? Isn't "anyone that" just as bad as "whoever that"? The test question is still wrong by imposing that "that" in there, isn't it?
    Hey Jlinger, I really appreciate your replying so nicely . As you will know, some people react angrily or else remain silent if -however nicely-someone else points out they've made a blunder.

Re "anyone that", I personally, would accept it. I think, more and more, people are replacing the relative pronoun "who" by "that" (particularly in North America.) Maybe if we did a poll we'd get fifty fifty feedback? Anyway, have a nice day and thanks again for replying so nicely.