About "end"

I just read an article about blue cart in Calgary in Canada. I met this sentence.

"Virtually all plastics will be accepted once the program begins and the green neighbourhood collection areas will be retooled to end the need for sorting and will also be as inclusive as the new blue cart system. "

I don't understand "end the need for sorting". Does it means "meet the need for sorting"?

Re: About "end"

Quote Originally Posted by goodsogi View Post
    I just read an article about blue cart in Calgary in Canada. I met this sentence.

"Virtually all plastics will be accepted once the program begins and the green neighbourhood collection areas will be retooled to end the need for sorting and will also be as inclusive as the new blue cart system. "

I don't understand "end the need for sorting". Does it means "meet the need for sorting"?
    I think it means that once the collection areas are retooled, there will be no need for sorting: sorting will become unnecessary; it will stop/cease.

An end is a finishing point. When something ends it finishes: so to end the need for something is to take away the need for something; in this case the need which has been removed is the need to sort the recyclable plastics.

Any clearer?

I am not a teacher.