• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Doubt

My dear teachers and folks

I typed the following: It might be fair to fix it but seems strongly harder as debt is a part of football now.

First, is that correct?

That being said, I wonder whether I may write 'as debt is part of football now' or not. Or maybe 'as debts are part of football now'.

What do you think?

Re: Doubt

Your first choice works well.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Your first choice works well.
    Thanks for the help, dear Anglika

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    My dear teachers and folks

I typed the following: It might be fair to fix it but seems strongly harder as debt is a part of football now.

First, is that correct?

That being said, I wonder whether I may write 'as debt is part of football now' or not. Or maybe 'as debts are part of football now'.

What do you think?
    I think Anglika was answering your second point - your first choice works fine for that particular subordinate clause. But I'm not sure what the main clause means; "seems" needs a subject, and "strongly harder" is most unusual. Could you try a different form of words?

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I think Anglika was answering your second point - your first choice works fine for that particular subordinate clause. But I'm not sure what the main clause means; "seems" needs a subject, and "strongly harder" is most unusual. Could you try a different form of words?

b
    To make it clearer:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Telegraph wrote:David Taylor, the Uefa general secretary, says the organisation is determined to promote “financial fair play.”

They understood that football fair play was not possible, so they are doing their best to hit the financial sector. Above all , they are telling that Chelsea and Manchester United could be kicked out of European club competitions. If they are thrown, I will wonder much about each team of Europe.

It might be fair to fix it but seems strongly harder as debt is a part of football now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also agree on the fact that I omited the subject and did not use the most common words after the verb 'seem'. This is my way of writing when I am not that keen to write in a formal way. That being said, I am always okay to hear good advices

However, it could go: It might be fair to fix it but it seems really more difficult as debt is part of football now.
    Or to rephrase it: It might be fair to fix it but it seems really difficult to do it because of debt is part of football nowadays.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    To make it clearer:

Telegraph wrote:David Taylor, the Uefa general secretary, says the organisation is determined to promote “financial fair play.”

They understood that football fair play was not possible, so they are doing their best to hit the financial sector. Above all , they are [telling] saying that Chelsea and Manchester United could be kicked out of European club competitions. If they are thrown out, I will wonder much - 'I will be very doubtful'? about [each team of] every team in Europe.

It might be fair to fix it Fix what? And in what sense of 'fix'? but seems strongly harder as debt is a part of football now.

I also agree on the fact that I omited the subject and did not use the most common words after the verb 'seem'. This is my way of writing when I am not that keen to write in a formal way. That being said, I am always okay to hear good advices

However, it could go: It might be fair to fix it but it seems really more difficult as debt is part of football now.
    Or to rephrase it: It might be fair to fix it but it seems really difficult to do it because of debt is part of football nowadays.
    I'm strongly (note the usage *) in favour of not using the most common words; but if your readers can't decipher what you mean, you're in trouble'. The words 'Seems fair' (to use a meaningful object) don't need a subject in informal speech; but in 'But it seems fair' the 'it' can't be omitted.

* I think in 'strongly harder' you were thinking of the word fortement, which is a word that I always find hard to translate (so I'm not surprised that you have trouble with 'strongly').

b
    Last edited by BobK; 11-Oct-2008 at 20:13. Reason: Fix typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post

Phila [.....
    they understood that football fair play was not possible, so they are doing their best to hit the financial sector. Above all , they are [telling] saying that chelsea and manchester united could be kicked out of european club competitions. If they are thrown out, i will wonder much - 'i will be very doubtful'? about [each team of] every team in europe.

it might be fair to fix it fix what? And in what sense of 'fix'? but seems strongly harder as debt is a part of football now.

....] Phila

i'm strongly (note the usage *) in favour of not using the most common words; but if your readers can't decipher what you mean, you're in trouble'. The words 'seems fair' (to use a meaningful object) don't need a subject in informal speech; but in 'but it seems fair' the 'it' can't be omitted.

* i think in 'strongly harder' you were thinking of the word fortement, which is a word that i always find hard to translate (so i'm not surprised that you have trouble with 'strongly').

B
    I will wonder much about [...] would likely have to be written I will worry much about[...].

As for the verb 'fix'. I saw it pretty close to the meaning of the verb 'eradicate' in that case and even the verb 'arrange', which sounds closer to 'fix'. It goes: It might be fair to eradicate (the fact that the clubs have still debts). It is not cricket.

By the way, I will try to understand in which sense I have got to use 'strongly'.

Thank you, dear B.
    Last edited by philadelphia; 13-Oct-2008 at 22:04.