• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

rote memorization

my word processor is showing an error on the underlined word below ?

Without understanding computers, we will have to rote memorize the methods/steps in order to perform any task.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: rote memorization

There are two possible explanations I can think of. Either your word processor is sensitive to thje "-ize" spelling (for some unaccountable reason, some people are, and they've hard-coded their prejudice into the software , or your word processor reacts against the somewhat inelegant phrase 'rote memorize', which I hesitate to say is 'wrong' but which I'd expect to be worded in some other way - for instance 'memorize by rote'. The BNC has only 9 hits for "rote" followed by a verb (and the one of those is a gerund - not a finite verb such as 'memorize'). Two more may be participles (in fact I'd guess they are):

1 ROTE LEARNING 3
    2 ROTE IS 2
    3 ROTE LEAVENED 1
    4 ROTE HAS 1
    5 ROTE CEASED 1
    6 ROTE ARE 1
    TOTAL 9

Without doing further research (I've no time, but be my guest at http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc) I imagine the other three are just accidental collocations that don't have the syntax of 'rote memorize'.
    Last edited by BobK; 09-Oct-2008 at 17:00. Reason: Add last para.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    There are two possible explanations I can think of. Either your word processor is sensitive to thje "-ize" spelling (for some unaccountable reason, some people are, and they've hard-coded their prejudice into the software , or your word processor reacts against the somewhat inelegant phrase 'rote memorization', which I hesitate to say is 'wrong' but which I'd expect to be worded in some other way - for instance 'memorizing by rote'. But the BNC's includes one hit for it.

b
    Or he has his spell checker set for BrE, which I think he should be commended for! (Saves memorising which is "ise" and which izn't.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Or he has his spell checker set for BrE, which I think he should be commended for! (Saves memorising which is "ise" and which izn't.)
    I was going to mention 'Br English' but that form of words sticks in my craw when applied to this particular canard. (Of course, what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own continent is up to them )

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

no it's set on AmE. it suggests to use 'memorized' instead.

It's not the spelling it is querying, but the grammar. A good example of the simple minded grammar rules built into the word processors. Ignore it. It can't understand the phrase It might accept the phrase if it was hyphenated: rote-memorize.