nice to know you or nice to meet you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginko

Member Type
Student or Learner
I would like to know when is better use "know" and when "meet" to introduce my self to someone new...

gayanah

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I am not a teacher

I think it is better to say "Nice to meet you",when you saw the person for the first time.

ginko

Member Type
Student or Learner
my doubt is about use "know" when i'm writing to someone, and so he's away from me (for ex. an e mail or a letter...) and "meet" when I have the person in front of me...it could be? anyway, thanks!

Arash-ab

Member Type
Student or Learner
I've similar question to witch our friend asked. What I must do?
I want to tell somebody I'm happy to be familiar with he through my message like in a message at this forum.witch sentence I must use? "Nice to meet you?Nice to know you?Nice to be familiar with you?or other?....I'm wating for your quick answer...Thanks...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
does any one to answer my question?

If you're writing to someone that you've met before but you don't see them very often, you can say something like "I'm really glad that we met", or "I'm pleased that I got to know you".

Arash-ab

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for your answer...no..I've not met before...for example I want to tell you "nice to meet you" in my message.do I must tell "I'm pleased that I got to know you"?
is the sentece "Nice to be familiar with you" true?
Thank you very much...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your answer...no..I've not met before...for example I want to tell you "nice to meet you" in my message.do I must tell "I'm pleased that I got to know you"?
is the sentece "Nice to be familiar with you" true?
Thank you very much...

If you're meeting someone in person for the first time, you would say "[It's] nice to meet you."

If you are writing to someone but you have never met them then it wouldn't be appropriate to say anything like that, because you haven't met them and you don't know them!

"To be familiar with someone/something" has a slightly different connotation and you wouldn't use it directly to someone. You could use it to explain that you know someone/something a little, for example:

Q - Do you know Jane, who works in accounts?
A - I'm familiar with her, but I don't really know her.

Q - Do you know the films of Quentin Tarantino?
A - I'm familiar with some of them.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Also, colloquially, when you meet someone in person after a prolonged written contact, (say a colleague you've been exchanging e-mail with for years) it's common to say 'It's good to be able to put a face to the name at last'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.