job position was eliminated, that some of us take for granted, disability income

A year later, my job position was eliminated and I was jobless with six kids. I found another job several months later. However, I continued going to school with the aid of grants and scholarships.

After a few months, I fainted at work. It was determined that I had a brain hemorrhage and I had to have brain surgery. After the surgery, I had to relearn everything that some of us take for granted. I had to learn how to walk, talk, and read again. Although, I was told that it would take approximately a year and a half to two years to recuperate, I went back to work two months later, and enrolled back into school a year later. During the time I was ill, my social security ended and my disability income was less than $75.00 a week. To make matters worse, I was told that my job was closing down and I had less than a month to find another job.

I guess, "my job position was eliminated" means "I was fired".

Please explain the emboldened parts to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: job position was eliminated, that some of us take for granted, disability income

When your job position disappeared, it meant that by some change of system or operation, what you were doing is no longer required to be done, at least, not by you. You weren't fired. You lost your job, but to be fired suggests a wrong doing on your part. When a job disappears, you often get more help, financially and emotionally, from the company in helping you find a new job.

Things we take for granted means the things we simply assume are going to happen or exist every day. We don't worry about them. We take for granted that we will have water to drink when we turn on the faucet. We take for granted that we won't be spun off off the earth when it rotates. In this case, he took for granted that he knew how to walk.

And the disabilty income is the money he received from his employer or the government or his insurance during the time he was unable (disabled) to work.

Re: job position was eliminated, that some of us take for granted, disability income

Thank you friend.

I understood the meaning of "take for granted", but I couldn't understand what they mean by "some of us". Actually the "some of us" refers to whom in this context.

Please help me.
    Last edited by user_gary; 15-Oct-2008 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Thank you friend.

I understood the meaning of "take for granted", but I couldn't understand what they mean by "some of us". Actually the "some of us" refers to home in this context.

Please help me.
    "some of us" = a certain number of us, a few of us.

It is an incorrect usage, since everyone takes it for granted that they can walk, talk and think.v It would have been better expressed as :...that we all take....