• Post Thanks / Like

alliance

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could have a look for me at the word, "alliance", in this context. I find definition of "alliance" in the dictionary, it means " agreement between countries,etc. to work together in order to achieve sth." But I still do not understand what it means in this context. It means "personal agreement"? I do not get it.

Thanks for your help.

Student: Excuse me, Dr. Singer, but did they...did the Native Americans have a concept of wealth?
    Dr.Singer: The Native Americans believed a person's status came more from kinship and personal alliance than from stores of wealth. Their definition of "need" was what they needed to survive. So if they had food, clothing, shelter, they considered themselves wealthy. ...

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: alliance

A personal alliance is a relationship or connection between two or more people.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    A personal alliance is a relationship or connection between two or more people.

Anglika, I still have a question. Then what is the difference between "personal relationship" and "personal alliance" ?

By the way, I hope you could take a look for me at another question.

Dr. Singer:... Native Americans used a wide range of resources for economic subsistence, and these resources were simply used by the family that acquired them. Only a few resources were accumulated for the purpose of showing a person's social status - for example, shells, furs, and ornaments of the hunt.

What does "ornaments of the hunt" mean in this context? Does it mean "the ornaments which are obtained by hunting", or " the ornaments that are worn by the Native American when they go hunting" ?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Anglika, I still have a question. Then what is the difference between "personal relationship" and "personal alliance" ?

On the surface, very little. However, a personal alliance need not include any emotional content, but a personal relationship will probably have some.

By the way, I hope you could take a look for me at another question.

Dr. Singer:... Native Americans used a wide range of resources for economic subsistence, and these resources were simply used by the family that acquired them. Only a few resources were accumulated for the purpose of showing a person's social status - for example, shells, furs, and ornaments of the hunt.

What does "ornaments of the hunt" mean in this context? Does it mean "the ornaments which are obtained by hunting", or " the ornaments that are worn by the Native American when they go hunting" ?

The ornaments obtained by hunting - teeth, skulls, horns, claws, feathers.