• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Meaning

The following paragraph has been taken from a story. I didn't understand the meaning of the expression in bold letters. Could anyone explain it, please? ( For your reference, I filled up a few blanks before getting this story made up for me. Here, I was asked to write my favourite hobby. I typed dancing and then this word dancing got fixed in the story where you are seeing it now. I was surfing on the internet and came accross to this website.It asked me to fill up few blanks and then click " make a story " button . I did the same and a ready made story came up for me.) I am sorry for the mistakes I have made while explaining my problem to you all.

'' Well, knowing her father as well as she did, Gloria knew there was no sense even asking her father if she could keep Browny for a pet. So without saying anything, Gloria set out to find where Browny was hiding. After a few minutes of looking, Gloria discovered Browny hiding under the table that Gloria did her dancing on.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Roselin View Post
    The following paragraph has been taken from a story. I didn't understand the meaning of the expression in bold letters. Could anyone explain it, please? ( For your reference, I filled up a few blanks before getting this story made up for me. Here, I was asked to write my favourite hobby. I typed dancing and then this word dancing got fixed in the story where you are seeing it now. I was surfing on the internet and came accross to this website.It asked me to fill up few blanks and then click " make a story " button . I did the same and a ready made story came up for me.) I am sorry for the mistakes I have made while explaining my problem to you all.

'' Well, knowing her father as well as she did, Gloria knew there was no sense even asking her father if she could keep Browny for a pet. So without saying anything, Gloria set out to find where Browny was hiding. After a few minutes of looking, Gloria discovered Browny hiding under the table that Gloria did her dancing on.
    Gloria discovered Browny hiding under the table that Gloria did her dancing on.
    Browny was hiding under a table. Gloria dances on this table. (Yes, some people dance on tables, probably in a saloon or disco, or other place of male entertainment. These days women prefer poles - but even then, the poles are on tables). This table was the table that Gloria danced on.
    (in the sense that she normally or usually dances on this table).
    danced on = did her dancing on.