all the way, more sheltered slopes

One day, when Rakesh was six, he walked home from the Mussoorie bazaar eating cherries. They were a little sweet, a little sour; small, bright red cherries, which had come all the way from the Kashmir valley.
    Here in the Himalayan foothills where Rakesh lived, there were not many fruit trees. The soil was stony, and the dry cold winds stunted the growth of most plants. But on the more sheltered slopes there were forests of oak and deodar.

Could you explain to me the emboldened parts? (I know shelter means to protect someone by putting them up in our house but I can't understand "sheltered slopes")

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: all the way, more sheltered slopes

One day, when Rakesh was six, he walked home from the Mussoorie bazaar eating cherries. They were a little sweet, a little sour; small, bright red cherries, which had come all the way (they were grown in a far away place and had been brought to the bazaar for the customers to buy) from the Kashmir valley.
    Here in the Himalayan foothills where Rakesh lived, there were not many fruit trees. The soil was stony, and the dry cold winds stunted the growth of most plants. But on the more sheltered slopes ("sheltered" is an adjective here to describe slopes of the foothills. The oak and deodar trees helped to make this slope more sheltered, or protected, from the dry, cold winds) there were forests of oak and deodar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: all the way, more sheltered slopes

User-Gary, check out the two terms: "Windward" and "Leeward". The leeward side of the mountain would be the sheltered side.