Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #1

    Plz check this Q/Ans.

    Q: Who do you think win the competition?
    Ans: The Sun won the competition.

    Don't you think that according to the answer the question should be ' who do you think WON the competition'?

    OR can you form the question seeing the answer ' The Sun won the competition'. I want to start the question with Who do you think....

    I am confused which tense should be used to make the answer in the past tense and the question should also start with WHO DO YOU THINK..

    Please help.


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    #2

    Re: Plz check this Q/Ans.

    "Who do you think WON the competition?" is the correct way to form the question.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #3

    Re: Plz check this Q/Ans.

    If it's a past fact, then "Who do you think...?" doesn't make sense. That's like saying "What do you think is the capital of France?" It's not a question that requires an opinion. The person either knows, or doesn't know.

    If you're not sure if the person knows, then "Do you know who won?" is appropriate.

    The game is in the past:
    Who won last night's game?
    The Suns won.

    The game is in the future:
    Who do you think will win?
    I think the Suns will win.
    I'm betting on the Suns.
    The Suns, for sure!

    You're not sure of the person's knowledge:
    Do you know won?
    I think it was the Suns, but I went to bed before the game was over. They were ahead by a lot, though, so I'd be surprised if they didn't win.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 13-Oct-2008 at 14:15.

  3. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #4

    Re: Plz check this Q/Ans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    If it's a past fact, then "Who do you think...?" doesn't make sense. That's like saying "What do you think is the capital of France?" It's not a question that requires an opinion. The person either knows, or doesn't know.

    If you're not sure if the person knows, then "Do you know who won?" is appropriate.

    The game is in the past:
    Who won last night's game?
    The Suns won.

    The game is in the future:
    Who do you think will win?
    I think the Suns will win.
    I'm betting on the Suns.
    The Suns, for sure!

    You're not sure of the person's knowledge:
    Do you know won?
    I think it was the Suns, but I went to bed before the game was over. They were ahead by a lot, though, so I'd be surprised if they didn't win.
    Actually I told a shot story to my students about the wind and the sun. There was a competiton between two of them. In the end , I want to ask my students what they think, who won the comeptition. It is obvious , that the story was narrated in the past tesne and my students will answer The Sun won the competition. In this case, I wanted to start my question Who, do you think, won the competition.

    Because in the question it is who DO you think, some are saying that it should be WIN, but then the answer in the past tense makes it wrong. I think, there is no harm if i use WON with ' who do you think...' What's your take on it now?

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,094
    #5

    Re: Plz check this Q/Ans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roselin View Post
    Actually I told a shot story to my students about the wind and the sun. There was a competiton between two of them. In the end , I want to ask my students what they think, who won the comeptition. It is obvious , that the story was narrated in the past tesne and my students will answer The Sun won the competition. In this case, I wanted to start my question Who, do you think, won the competition.

    Because in the question it is who DO you think, some are saying that it should be WIN, but then the answer in the past tense makes it wrong. I think, there is no harm if i use WON with ' who do you think...' What's your take on it now?
    "Who do you think won the competition?" seems to be your best choice, and the only choice if you want the answer "The sun won the competition".
    "Who do you think wins the competition?" might also possible, depending on how the story goes.
    "Who do you think win the competition?" is ungrammatical.

  5. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #6

    Re: Plz check this Q/Ans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Who do you think won the competition?" seems to be your best choice, and the only choice if you want the answer "The sun won the competition".
    "Who do you think wins the competition?" might also possible, depending on how the story goes.
    "Who do you think win the competition?" is ungrammatical.
    Ok...thanks for your reply, Raymott!!

    One more thing, I want to practise Active ans passive voice and conditionals but not getting any useful website. Do you know any of them?

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,094
    #7

    Re: Plz check this Q/Ans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roselin View Post
    Ok...thanks for your reply, Raymott!!

    One more thing, I want to practise Active ans passive voice and conditionals but not getting any useful website. Do you know any of them?
    You could start here for conditionals, or navigate to the passive/active pages
    Conditionals - Glossary Definition - UsingEnglish.com

Similar Threads

  1. Check
    By Tdol in forum Phrasal Verbs
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2017, 10:55
  2. [Grammar] check if...
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2008, 12:01
  3. personal check...
    By Flyby in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2008, 17:21
  4. live check to check
    By kpkroy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2008, 14:49
  5. Well, we should check out/up on every possibility.
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2007, 02:16

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •