1. tonky

Between will and would

Can somebody explain me when we should use "will" and when we shloud use "would"? what are the differences between "will" and "would"? For example : Say, I plan to go to MIT, Which is correct : I am sure that the time I will ( or would?) spend in MIT will (or would?) be one of the most valuable in my life. It will (or would?) deepen my knowledge and broaden my perspectives.

Thank you

2. Senior Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Between will and would

There's a pretty good explanation on another thread here of would https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/80422-use-would.html

If you have read the other thread as suggested by jlinger, then:
    if you had been accepted into MIT, and starting next semester; or have just begun your course there when you say these words, then you would use 'will'. You are expressing a strong intention or assertion about the future, since your acceptance into the course now guarantees 'time at MIT'.

However, if you were applying to MIT, and were writing in a covering letter, then you would use 'would', since 'spending time' at MIT is CONDITIONAL on your being accepted:
    "[B](If accepted into MIT,)[/B] (then) I am sure that (the time I would spend in MIT)/my time at MIT would be one of the most valuable in my life.

So - if you had been accepted into MIT and start next semester; or have just begun your course there when you say these words, then you would use 'will'. You are expressing a strong intention or assertion about the future; and with regard to 'spending time at MIT', your acceptance into the course now guarantees 'time at MIT'.

However, if you were applying to MIT, and were writing in a covering letter, then you would use 'would', since 'spending time' at MIT is CONDITIONAL on your being accepted:
    "[B]If admitted/accepted,[/B] (then) I am sure that (the time I would spend in MIT)/my time at MIT would be one of the most valuable in my life."