1. tonky

Between will and would

Can somebody explain me when we should use "will" and when we shloud use "would"? what are the differences between "will" and "would"? For example : Say, I plan to go to MIT, Which is correct : I am sure that the time I will ( or would?) spend in MIT will (or would?) be one of the most valuable in my life. It will (or would?) deepen my knowledge and broaden my perspectives.

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Between will and would

There's a pretty good explanation on another thread here of would https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/80422-use-would.html

If you have read the other thread as suggested by jlinger, then:
    if you had been accepted into MIT, and starting next semester; or have just begun your course there when you say these words, then you would use 'will'. You are expressing a strong intention or assertion about the future, since your acceptance into the course now guarantees 'time at MIT'.

However, if you were applying to MIT, and were writing in a covering letter, then you would use 'would', since 'spending time' at MIT is CONDITIONAL on your being accepted:
    "[B](If accepted into MIT,)[/B] (then) I am sure that (the time I would spend in MIT)/my time at MIT would be one of the most valuable in my life.

So - if you had been accepted into MIT and start next semester; or have just begun your course there when you say these words, then you would use 'will'. You are expressing a strong intention or assertion about the future; and with regard to 'spending time at MIT', your acceptance into the course now guarantees 'time at MIT'.

However, if you were applying to MIT, and were writing in a covering letter, then you would use 'would', since 'spending time' at MIT is CONDITIONAL on your being accepted:
    "[B]If admitted/accepted,[/B] (then) I am sure that (the time I would spend in MIT)/my time at MIT would be one of the most valuable in my life."