• Post Thanks / Like

As and among

Hereby, too, I shall indulge the inclination so natural in old men, to be talking of themselves and their own past actions; and I shall indulge it without being tiresome to others, who, through respect to age, might conceive themselves obliged to give me a hearing, since this may be read or not as anyone pleases.

but I give it fair Quarter wherever I meet with it, being persuaded that it is often productive of Good to the Possessor & to others that are within his Sphere of Action: And therefore in many Cases it would not be quite absurd if a Man were to thank God for his Vanity among the other Comforts of Life.

My Belief of this, induces me to hope, though I must not presume, that the same Goodness will still be exercised towards me in continuing that Happiness, or in enabling me to bear a fatal Reverse, which I may experience as others have done, the Complexion of my future Fortune being known to him only: and in whose Power it is to bless to us even our Afflictions.

Source: Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

1.As anyone pleases = as anyone pleases to read or as anyone pleases not to read, right?

2.Also, I don't understand about the second highlighted sentence. My guess is A man included Vanity as one of the comoforts of life.

3.Prepostion is my fatal weakness. I don't understand the meaning or function of "in" here, can I replace it with "by"?

Waiting for your answer.~
    Last edited by redgiant; 14-Oct-2008 at 14:08.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: As and among

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    Hereby, too, I shall indulge the inclination so natural in old men, to be talking of themselves and their own past actions; and I shall indulge it without being tiresome to others, who, through respect to age, might conceive themselves obliged to give me a hearing, since this may be read or not as anyone pleases.

but I give it fair Quarter wherever I meet with it, being persuaded that it is often productive of Good to the Possessor & to others that are within his Sphere of Action: And therefore in many Cases it would not be quite absurd if a Man were to thank God for his Vanity among the other Comforts of Life.

My Belief of this, induces me to hope, though I must not presume, that the same Goodness will still be exercised towards me in continuing that Happiness, or in enabling me to bear a fatal Reverse, which I may experience as others have done, the Complexion of my future Fortune being known to him only: and in whose Power it is to bless to us even our Afflictions.

Source: Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

1.As anyone pleases = as anyone pleases to read or as anyone pleases not to read, right? Yes

2.Also, I don't understand about the second highlighted sentence. My guess is A man included Vanity as one of the comoforts of life. Yes

3.Prepostion is my fatal weakness. I don't understand the meaning or function of "in" here, can I replace it with "by"? "In" here is expressing inclusion or involvement. No, it cannot be replaced with "by".

Waiting for your answer.~