Status
Not open for further replies.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
thang.tt said:
how can i diagram a sentence ?

What's the sentence and how would you like to diagram it (e.g., binary trees; square brackets, etc.)?

K

katandr

it's very good tool to sentence diagramming
they have free trial
you can there also download the special symbols to diagram
if you have 99 bucks you can buy it

katandr

P

pljames

:) How can you diagram a sentence except to use words that give a picture of what you are trying to see? Why also analyse the sentence in the first place even if you use basic and simple words? Paul/pljames

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Sentences are mini-puzzles. :cool: The words fit in certain positions. Diagramming a sentence tells us about how the puzzle fits together. It gives us the code, the language code (more commonly known as "Grammar".) ;-)

P

pljames

Sentences are mini-puzzles. :cool: The words fit in certain positions. Diagramming a sentence tells us about how the puzzle fits together. It gives us the code, the language code (more commonly known as "Grammar".) ;-)

:) I try to write like that but my style gets in the way. I would love to be structured but that is not my style. Beautiful exsplanation! Thank you for that, there might be something there for me to ponder to perfect my english writing there. But I do not believe in the word perfect. Paul/pljames:-D

wmodesto

Member Type
Student or Learner
katandr said:
it's very good tool to sentence diagramming
they have free trial
you can there also download the special symbols to diagram
if you have 99 bucks you can buy it
katandr

It is looks interesting by using that "diagraming a sentence" as a tool of learning the English language. My only concern about this diagrams and the lines itself is they look confusing and complicated to understand . How would I able to understand those lines and symbols? :-?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We don't do diagramming in the UK and I have to say that it has never appealed much to me. ;-)

P

pljames

Dear Casiopea,
I use brackets (). I have not as of yet studied in depth the diagramming structure in sentencing so for now I use brackets. I do not outline and have my own way of outlining the points of the sentence using basic ad simple words in the first sentence and then use synonyms in all the other paragraphs. For now I use brackets. Will get back to you as soon as I understand the sentence diagram I understand a flow chart and mind mapping which is like sentence diagramming. pljames

P

pljames

:-D Dear Anonomous,
I just posted my version of sentence diagramming. It is not the original version but some of members have sent me excellent free d/l of sentence Diagramming. Check the post. pljames

jatinsky

Member Type
English Teacher
Re: Website for diagramming a sentence

Try this website
Type h-t-t-p-:-/-/-grammar(dot) ccc (dot) commnet(dot)edu/GRAMMAR/diagrams2/diagrams_frames(dot)htm

This is my first post and I am not yet allowed to include a link.

I hope you find this as helpful as I did.

jatinsky

Member Type
English Teacher
Here is a simple sentence.

I eat.

First you find the subject and the verb in the sentences.

I = subject
eat= verb

diagram this way...

Draw a horizontal line with a short perpendicular line going through it. This is the start of most every sentence diagram.

I l eat
l

Now add a direct object to make your sentnce say, I eat food. For the direct object you draw a perpendicular line, but it does not go through the original line.

I l eat l food
l

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds a little as if you are trying to re-invent the wheel http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAR/diagrams2/diagrams_frames.html. That is a website that does a pretty good job of showing the whole system, that is the system used in the United States.

A famous American writer, Gertrude Stein, once said, "I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences."

Of course, you have to study it a little before you can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.