• Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

some unclear phrases

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of some phrases in the following context:

Newland adds that there are many other factors that foster the growth of transnational networks and which move beyond the framework for assessing the impact of migration on development merely from netting out the benefits of remittances and the costs of the brain drain such as:

• Tourism from immigrant communities to the “old country” has become a major earner for countries like Ireland and Vietnam.
    • Philanthropy by “home town associations (Mexico) or “returnees Associations” (Jamaica), charitable foundations (Egypt or by individual expatriates who provide significant resources for community development at the local level.
    • Fundraising for political candidates or causes targets diaspora communities.
    • Nostalgia for the foods and products of the country of origin creates markets for those products in the immigration country, fostering local production and international trade.
    Does "netting out the benefits" mean to identify/determine the benefits?

As for "move beyond the framework", I have to admit that the meaning is unclear to me.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: some unclear phrases

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of some phrases in the following context:

Newland adds that there are many other factors that foster the growth of transnational networks and which move beyond the framework for assessing the impact of migration on development merely from netting out the benefits of remittances and the costs of the brain drain such as:

• Tourism from immigrant communities to the “old country” has become a major earner for countries like Ireland and Vietnam.
    • Philanthropy by “home town associations (Mexico) or “returnees Associations” (Jamaica), charitable foundations (Egypt or by individual expatriates who provide significant resources for community development at the local level.
    • Fundraising for political candidates or causes targets diaspora communities.
    • Nostalgia for the foods and products of the country of origin creates markets for those products in the immigration country, fostering local production and international trade.

Does "netting out the benefits" mean to identify/determine the benefits? "Netting out" derives from the fiscal term "net" = what is left when there is nthing else to be subtracted.

As for "move beyond the framework", I have to admit that the meaning is unclear to me. You consider matters outside the limits laid down for assessing this impact.