• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

broke into tears

I'd like to know why the woman broke into tears in the next passage.

My wife Susan works at a restaurant. One night a middle-aged man took her aside and explained that his large party was gathering to celebrate his grandmother's 100th birthday. Susan immediately sprang into action, and a short time later she placed a huge cake complete with 100 blazing candles in front of an elderly but lively woman at the table. As the entire restaurant joined in singing "Happy Birthday," the woman broke into tears. "Thank you," the grandson said to Susan, "but that's my mother. Grandmother hasn't arrived yet."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: broke into tears

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post

My wife Susan works at a restaurant. One night a middle-aged man took her aside and explained that his large party was gathering to celebrate his grandmother's 100th birthday. Susan immediately sprang into action, and a short time later she placed a huge cake complete with 100 blazing candles in front of an elderly but lively woman at the table. As the entire restaurant joined in singing "Happy Birthday," the woman broke into tears. "Thank you," the grandson said to Susan, "but that's my mother. Grandmother hasn't arrived yet."
    The answer is quite obvious; read the passage carefully until you know the answer. If you still can't figure it out, we will tell you the reason.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    The answer is quite obvious; read the passage carefully until you know the answer. If you still can't figure it out, we will tell you the reason.
    Perhaps the prospect of looking older than one's years doesn't hold the same degree of horror for elderly women in Korea.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Perhaps the prospect of looking older than one's years doesn't hold the same degree of horror for elderly women in Korea.
    You may well be right.
    But I still think that the answer should be fairly easily discovered with a careful reading of the passage.
    (Of course that's easy for me to say.)

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Welcome!

The woman broke into tears because Susan thought that the woman looked old enough to be the middle-aged man's 100-year-old grandmother. But she was just the mother of the middle-aged man and probably only about 70 or 80 years old.