Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 575
    #1

    broke into tears

    I'd like to know why the woman broke into tears in the next passage.



    My wife Susan works at a restaurant. One night a middle-aged man took her aside and explained that his large party was gathering to celebrate his grandmother's 100th birthday. Susan immediately sprang into action, and a short time later she placed a huge cake complete with 100 blazing candles in front of an elderly but lively woman at the table. As the entire restaurant joined in singing "Happy Birthday," the woman broke into tears. "Thank you," the grandson said to Susan, "but that's my mother. Grandmother hasn't arrived yet."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #2

    Re: broke into tears

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I'd like to know why the woman broke into tears in the next passage.



    My wife Susan works at a restaurant. One night a middle-aged man took her aside and explained that his large party was gathering to celebrate his grandmother's 100th birthday. Susan immediately sprang into action, and a short time later she placed a huge cake complete with 100 blazing candles in front of an elderly but lively woman at the table. As the entire restaurant joined in singing "Happy Birthday," the woman broke into tears. "Thank you," the grandson said to Susan, "but that's my mother. Grandmother hasn't arrived yet."
    The answer is quite obvious; read the passage carefully until you know the answer. If you still can't figure it out, we will tell you the reason.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: broke into tears

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    The answer is quite obvious; read the passage carefully until you know the answer. If you still can't figure it out, we will tell you the reason.
    Perhaps the prospect of looking older than one's years doesn't hold the same degree of horror for elderly women in Korea.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #4

    Re: broke into tears

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Perhaps the prospect of looking older than one's years doesn't hold the same degree of horror for elderly women in Korea.
    You may well be right.
    But I still think that the answer should be fairly easily discovered with a careful reading of the passage.
    (Of course that's easy for me to say.)


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1
    #5

    Re: broke into tears

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I'd like to know why the woman broke into tears in the next passage.



    My wife Susan works at a restaurant. One night a middle-aged man took her aside and explained that his large party was gathering to celebrate his grandmother's 100th birthday. Susan immediately sprang into action, and a short time later she placed a huge cake complete with 100 blazing candles in front of an elderly but lively woman at the table. As the entire restaurant joined in singing "Happy Birthday," the woman broke into tears. "Thank you," the grandson said to Susan, "but that's my mother. Grandmother hasn't arrived yet."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #6

    Re: broke into tears

    Welcome!

    The woman broke into tears because Susan thought that the woman looked old enough to be the middle-aged man's 100-year-old grandmother. But she was just the mother of the middle-aged man and probably only about 70 or 80 years old.

Similar Threads

  1. Reduce sb to tears
    By lalda222 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-May-2008, 13:58
  2. Wipe them tears
    By Atefvinc in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2007, 11:17
  3. break down or broke?
    By bosunyum in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2006, 04:47
  4. Broke / Break
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Mar-2005, 03:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •