by

Hi,
    I get confused by the sentence" The population of the village has increased by 150 to 50." Would you please tell me what it means?
    Thanks!

Re: by

It is unclear since if the population of a village has grown by 150 additional people, it would be more than 50 living there.
    I am wondering if "%" or per cent has been omitted: The population of the village has increased by 150% to 50.

Hi,
    Thanks! I agree with your opinion. However, I also got confused by your correct sentence: The population of the village has increased by 150% to 50. IF there were 100 persons in the village. Then it has become 250 persons. 50 means the number that it has inecreased. Does it mean that?
    I appreciate your patience to solve my puzzle.

Something is wrong with the sentence, but it's difficult to identify just what.
    That's why the sentence is so confusing!

To increase by 150% to a total of 50 inhabitants implies very few inhabitants previously; "increase by between 50 to 150" was another possibility I thought the author may have meant, but to be honest without a lot more context, I cannot think what is really meant.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Cool Re: by

Quote Originally Posted by mayclaire View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks! I agree with your opinion. However, I also got confused by your correct sentence: The population of the village has increased by 150% to 50. IF there were 100 persons in the village. Then it has become 250 persons. 50 means the number that it has inecreased. Does it mean that?
    I appreciate your patience to solve my puzzle.
    The population of the village has increased by 150% to 50 means there are 50 inhabitants now; before now, there were only 20 people living there. 150% out of 20 is 30; 20 (previous number of people) + 30 (increased rate of people, ie by 150%) = 50 people in total now.

I've got it! Thank both of you for your explicit explanations. You have helped me out of the confusion. I've got a lot from your help!
    Thanks!