• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

other than

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "other than" in the following sentence":

Financial flows from migrants other than remittances have grown, including tourism by emigrants and individual and collective foreign direct investment and philanthropy in the source country.

Does "other than" imply that remittances have grown and financial flows have also grown? Or does it imply that only financial flows have grown?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: other than

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "other than" in the following sentence":

Financial flows from migrants other than remittances have grown, including tourism by emigrants and individual and collective foreign direct investment and philanthropy in the source country.

Does "other than" imply that remittances have grown and financial flows have also grown? Or does it imply that only financial flows have grown?
    I am not a teacher.

It means that "Financial flows from migrants" differs from "remittances have grown".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: other than

The difficulty for me is as follows: Earlier in the text, it was clearly said several times that remittances from migrants have grown worldwide.

The sentence "Financial flows from migrants other than remittances have grown, including tourism by emigrants and individual and collective foreign direct investment and philanthropy in the source country" says that financial flows from migrants have grown. What is still unclear to me is the meaning of "other than."

other - Definition from Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
    other than apart from a particular person or thing [= except]:
    The truth was known to no one other than herself.

If in this sentence "other than" means "except" it seems to me that in this case there will be a contradiction to what was said earlier in the text.
    He doesn't eat pork, but other than that he'll eat just about anything.