I don't understand this sentence.

I just read an article about global recession.

"Custom House, a Victoria-based international payments firm, said in an analysis issued before U.S. markets opened but as those in Asia and Europe as markets were selling off sharply."

Does "as those in Asia and Europ as markets were selling off sharply" mean that Asia and Europe markets were selling off sharply? Or U.S. market were selling off sharply like Asia and Europe markets?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: I don't understand this sentence.

I read and re-read that sentence for some time trying to understand it, only to discover that it was only a phrase, not a sentence. The proper and complete quote is:

"Now that the credit and banking crisis is getting to be 'old' news, the markets are turning their attention to what's next - the deepening global economic recession coming hard at us," Custom House, a Victoria-based international payments firm, said in an analysis issued before U.S. markets opened but as those in Asia and Europe as markets were selling off sharply.

So, to your question: Does "as those in Asia and Europ as markets were selling off sharply" mean that Asia and Europe markets were selling off sharply? Or U.S. market were selling off sharply like Asia and Europe markets?

The meaning is that the Asian and European markets were open, and were selling off sharply. The U.S. markets were not yet open, so no statement is made on how they were selling. They are excluded from the meaning of the comment.