clocked in to the second?

Everyone who is entered in the transplant program is clocked in to the second. To the second, Denny. You were clocked into the second and so was the other guy, I checked with UNOS. The difference between when you entered the program and when he entered the program is 17 seconds. That's it Denny. 17 seconds. I mean, its not even the length of a decent kiss. So this other guy, I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve this heart. I'm sure he does, but so do you! So do you. And if you tell me anymore crap about heading towards the light or looking down on me from heaven I swear I will kill you myself right now!

"Grey's Anatomy" 17 Seconds (2006) - Memorable quotes

Would you tell me what "clocked in to the second" mean here, the dictionary says "clock in" means "to record the time when you arrive at work", but it seems not work here

Re: clocked in to the second?

please help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    Everyone who is entered in the transplant program is clocked in to the second. To the second, Denny. You were clocked into the second and so was the other guy, I checked with UNOS. The difference between when you entered the program and when he entered the program is 17 seconds. That's it Denny. 17 seconds. I mean, its not even the length of a decent kiss. So this other guy, I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve this heart. I'm sure he does, but so do you! So do you. And if you tell me anymore crap about heading towards the light or looking down on me from heaven I swear I will kill you myself right now!

Would you tell me what "clocked in to the second" mean here, the dictionary says "clock in" means "to record the time when you arrive at work", but it seems not work here
    It is this definition, but referring to the time when a patient is admitted to 'the program' - hence the passive. An employee "clocks in " - in the early days of industrialization there was an actual machine, with a clock-face, that workers used to make a physical impression (a printed stamp or a punched hole) in a card; in that case 'clock in' is active.

In the second line of the quote 'clocked into' is a typo or a mistake in transcription. The time when patients are admitted is recorded 'to the second'.

b

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post

Yes, it's true this situation doesn't concern work. Dictionaries usually give definitions for what is true most of the time. But now and then you can find an expression used in a situation that is not given by a dictionary. This a case in point.

So what I understand from the context is that candidates for heart transplants are placed on the list according to when they clock in - not only do they record the day and the hour and the minute but also the second. So poor old Denny clocked in 17 seconds after the one who's going to be given the heart transplant.

Hope this is clear?