• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

scrape x scratch

What´s the main difference between the two words above? Can they ever be synonyms?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: scrape x scratch

They are most often synonyms.

The idioms "scraping by" (barely surviving) and "in a scrape" (in a predicament, trouble) cannot substitute "scratch" however.

The idioms "up to scratch" (adequate) "from scratch" (using original ingredients rather than a prepared mix) cannot substitute "scrape" however.
    Similarly, "scratch paper" (extra paper for quick notes) is unique.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

...but they belong in different collocations. You scrape a new potato (rather than peeling the skin off with a knife or a peeler) but scratch the inside of a coffin-lid (disturbing image - I'm not sure what dark part of my psyche that came from ) You scratch a table-top. A scratch tends to be more linear (narrow, one-track) - it's what you do to your arms when you're picking blackberries; you scrape your knee when you fall over [or graze it, if the damage is more slight]. Given the different shapes of the wounds (scratch long and thin, scrape wider) you can do either to, say, a car. But if you scrape a car there's a chance you can rub away the worst of the damage; whereas if you scratch a car - "Sorry guv', the whole wing'll need repainting".

At least, that's the way it seems to me from this side of the pond.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I'll buy that, David. A scrape seems to leave a broader, wider mark than a scratch. Good points, all.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

As for scraping by, if somebody asks me how I´ve been doing, could I say Scraping by just for fun, even if everything is ok? Does it refer to money, or other things like health too?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

It refers to money, generally. Certainly not health. "I'm getting by/along" might be used for health, and other situations. " Still kickin' " works for health, too!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    The idioms "scraping by" (barely surviving) and "in a scrape" (in a predicament, trouble) cannot substitute "scratch" however.

The idioms "up to scratch" (adequate) "from scratch" (using original ingredients rather than a prepared mix) cannot substitute "scrape" however.
    Similarly, "scratch paper" (extra paper for quick notes) is unique.
    Other colloquial expressions:

'scrape through' - to win/pass a competition/exam/election by a very narrow margin
    (The simple verb 'scrape' is sometimes heard; I believe it is a back-formation from the phrasal verb - 'He just scraped the election by the narrowest of margins'/'He just scraped a pass, in spite of missing one paper' /'England just scraped a draw against a weakened Croatian team'.)

scratch team - a team that doesn't usually play together, put together at the least minute (often for charity events)

scratch golfer - this is derived from one of jlinger's definitions; such a golfer starts 'from basic ingredients' in that he has no handicap and so starts with a score of zero.

And of course 'to scrape the barrel' - to use the least desirable thing last: "After choosing all the best players, he was now really scraping the barrel." (I have heard various explanations of this phrase; the most persuasive, in my view, is based on sailing ships that had a barrel of apples for the crew - as a precaution against Scurvy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The less desirable ones sank to the bottom, so that someone who was 'scraping the barrel' had only damaged fruit to choose from.

b