Even ... so ...

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could take a look for me at this sentence, "Even a painting of a single object needs thoughtful composition so the character of the object is present in every shape."
    This is my first time to see a sentence struture like this. It starts with "Even", and halfway there is a "so", I do not understand what this sentence means. Could you make it clearer for me to get it ?

Thanks for your help.

The art instructor is talking about composition.

... ... All paintings have a compositional element. Successful paintings sort of suggest the third dimension, the sense that the design goes beyond the picture frame. A picture's unity - which includes the shapes, tones and colors - is linked to what the artist has to say. The artist's message is strongest when it's clear. A composition is better if it says one thing strongly than if it tries to say too many things. A crowded composition is sort of fussy and splintered and lacks unity. Even a painting of a single object needs thoughtful composition so the character of the object is present in every shape.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Even ... so ...

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could take a look for me at this sentence, "Even a painting of a single object needs thoughtful composition so the character of the object is present in every shape."
    This is my first time to see a sentence struture like this. It starts with "Even", and halfway there is a "so", I do not understand what this sentence means. Could you make it clearer for me to get it ?

Thanks for your help.

The art instructor is talking about composition.

... ... All paintings have a compositional element. Successful paintings sort of suggest the third dimension, the sense that the design goes beyond the picture frame. A picture's unity - which includes the shapes, tones and colors - is linked to what the artist has to say. The artist's message is strongest when it's clear. A composition is better if it says one thing strongly than if it tries to say too many things. A crowded composition is sort of fussy and splintered and lacks unity. Even a painting of a single object needs thoughtful composition so the character of the object is present in every shape.

The "even" and the "so" aren't structurally related (as they would be if "even so" meant something like "but still", "and yet", or "all the same": 'He didn't think he could do it. Even so, he would give it a try."

In your sense the words are separate: "Even in a painting of a single object [rather than a painting of several objects", composition is important". The artist must organize his work so that the picture has unity. (I'm not an artist or even a student of art, so I don't really know what the art teacher is talking about. )

b