• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Please fill the blanks with appropriate prepositions

Please fill the blanks with appropriate prepositions.

I often say, if you have a finite budget for marketing, you should spend less ***** ________ advertising and invest it _______ your customers in some form _______ customer appreciation. You will get a better return for your money _______ you invest in your existing customers. No disrespect ________ the media, they have a role to play. But it costs a lot more to earn a new customer _________ to keep an existing one.

Regular, happy, repeat customers are your bread ________ butter. The lifetime value of your regulars can be estimated, and your cash flow projected. Think of it as a symbiotic relationship, ________ you each depend on the other. They come back _______they trust you. You depend on the income they bring. Customers want to feel appreciated, and that you care about them more than the income the bring you. They are more than just a number. Perhaps you have heard the saying "People don't care _______ much you know, until they know how much you care."

Re: Please fill the blanks with appropriate prepositions

Quote Originally Posted by bspkumar View Post
    please fill the blanks with appropriate prepositions.`

i often say, if you have a finite budget for marketing, you should spend less on advertising and invest it in your customers in some form of customer appreciation. You will get a better return for your money if you invest in your existing customers. No disrespect for the media, they have a role to play. But it costs a lot more to earn a new customer than keep an existing one.

regular, happy, repeat customers are your bread and butter. The lifetime value of your regulars can be estimated, and your cash flow projected. Think of it as a symbiotic relationship, ? you each depend on the other. They come back because they trust you. You depend on the income they bring. Customers want to feel appreciated, and that you care about them more than the income the bring you. They are more than just a number. Perhaps you have heard the saying "people don't care about much you know, until they know how much you care."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thank you very much for your time and patience in providing the answers for me.
    Last edited by bspkumar; 19-Oct-2008 at 04:41. Reason: spelling mistakes

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

One of the drawbacks of doing people's work for them is that they rely on your answers and don't bother questioning the assumptions behind the original task. In

i often say, if you have a finite budget for marketing, you should spend less on advertising and invest it in your customers in some form of customer appreciation. You will get a better return for your money if you invest in your existing customers. No disrespect for the media, they have a role to play. But it costs a lot more to earn a new customer than keep an existing one.

regular, happy, repeat customers are your bread and butter. The lifetime value of your regulars can be estimated, and your cash flow projected. Think of it as a symbiotic relationship, ? you each depend on the other. They come back because they trust you. You depend on the income they bring. Customers want to feel appreciated, and that you care about them more than the income the bring you. They are more than just a number. Perhaps you have heard the saying "people don't care about much you know, until they know how much you care."
    a lot of the added words are not prepositions at all. The student may go off thinking 'Aha, I've got it, "preposition" is just a long word that means "little word"' - a mistake that might cause problems in their later studies.

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    One of the drawbacks of doing people's work for them is that they rely on your answers and don't bother questioning the assumptions behind the original task. In

a lot of the added words are not prepositions at all. The student may go off thinking 'Aha, I've got it, "preposition" is just a long word that means "little word"' - a mistake that might cause problems in their later studies.

b
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your note.
    I suppose it'll be solely a student's fault if they don't know what a preposition is. However, in this particular context i would suggest the task was incorrectly given. I may be wrong though-do you have your variant to suggest?
    All the best,
    Mariya

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by MashUK View Post
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your note.
    I suppose it'll be solely a student's fault if they don't know what a preposition is. However, in this particular context i would suggest the task was incorrectly given. I may be wrong though-do you have your variant to suggest?
    All the best,
    Mariya
    That would depend on what I was trying to teach. I don't see how I could 'improve' something without knowing what it was aiming to do, and I couldn't see any value (or hint of an aim) in the task as set. That's why I didn't suggest any improvement.

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    That would depend on what I was trying to teach. I don't see how I could 'improve' something without knowing what it was aiming to do, and I couldn't see any value (or hint of an aim) in the task as set. That's why I didn't suggest any improvement.

b
    Very much true. You can't always trust a book because those are written by people, and as you know, to err is human.
    To be honest, i did the exercise on impulse following the intuition, however, fully aware that some of the answers may well not be prepositions. Should have accompanied my answer with a few comments, and will certainly do in the future not to cause much controversy.
    Anyways, as a matter of interest, would you agree with the choice of words suggested? If not, i still have something to learn which is nice

Thanks,
    Mariya
    Last edited by MashUK; 22-Oct-2008 at 14:45.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by MashUK View Post
    Anyways, as a matter of interest, would you agree with the choice of words suggested? If not, i still have something to learn which is nice

Thanks,
    Mariya
    Not a lot, Mariya.

The last one should be "how" (if you want a preposition), or 'about how' if you don't mind two words - but just 'how' makes the bon mot better!

For the one that you didn't provide an answer to, you could do it just with punctuation: 'Think of it as a symbiotic relationship - you each depend on the other.' (Or a colon might be preferable - certainly preferable to the many dash-haters out there. ) If you wanted to use a word (not a preposition) you could (unacceptably for some speakers) use 'that'; some would prefer a preposition, but also 'that' to make the complement function as a noun - 'Think of it as a symbiotic relationship, in that you each depend on the other.'

b

Hi
    Is it also correct to say "disrespect to", such as: What do you think about Josh Howard's disrespect to our National Anthem?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    Hi
    Is it also correct to say "disrespect to", such as: What do you think about Josh Howard's disrespect to our National Anthem?
    It's acceptable.
    You can also say "disrespect toward/s" or "disrespect of" or "disrespect for" in this case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast