• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile believe and can believe

Dear porfessor: could you please explain the difference between "believe" and "can believe"? (love and can love; know and can know etc) How the "can" can give the listed verbs an airy feeling? ("airy feeling" was cited from a grammar book but it was not clear enough for me) thank you.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: believe and can believe

Quote Originally Posted by guzhao67 View Post
    Dear porfessor: could you please explain the difference between "believe" and "can believe"? (love and can love; know and can know etc) How the "can" can give the listed verbs an airy feeling? ("airy feeling" was cited from a grammar book but it was not clear enough for me) thank you.
    "Can" is not known in English as a device to give an "airy feeling". If a grammar expert writes this, he should explain it. I'd suggest you use this book as a volume of poetry, and find another grammar book.
    Apart from airiness, are you really asking about the difference between "believe" and "can believe"? You have used "can" correctly.

3. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: believe and can believe

thank you for the reply. yes, I wanted to know the difference between the two. by the way, what's an airy feeling? could you be a little specific and give me an example, please? thank you again. have a nice day.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

thank you for the reply. yes, I wanted to know the difference between the two. by the way, what's an airy feeling? could you be a little specific and give me an example, please? thank you again. have a nice day.
    No, I can't tell you about "airy feelings" or their relation to "can". I thought I made this clear. I don't know what "airy feelings" are. You are the one with the Book of Spells that links "can" to "airy feelings".
    If my room was stifling hot and I opened a window, I might receive an airy feeling. But I cannot relate opening a window to using a modal verb.

Since you've confirmed your confusion, I will accept that you want to know the difference between "believe" and "can believe".
    "believe" is a normal verb; "can" is a modal.
    If I say "I believe you did something", it means that I hold a belief that you have done it. If someone asks me if you did it, I would say: Yes.
    If I say "I can believe you did something", it means that it is possible for me to believe that you did something; or that you could have done something like that". If someone asks me if you did it, I might say "I believe she is capable of doing it, though I have no evidence."
    If, by "airiness", you mean this type of vague response, except this as example.
    Last edited by Raymott; 17-Oct-2008 at 19:04.

5. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • China

the question puzzled me for a long time. than you for being that specific. By the way, (excuse me for asking a stupid question) what do you mean by "I'd suggest you use this book as a volume of poetry"? In fact, i don't get the exact meaning of "volume of poetry" here? it seems to me the expression conveys a sense of humor. (whening reading "Book of Spells", i smiled as i thought i knew what you mean, but i could not get the meaning of "volume of poetry" here) could you explain,please? thank you.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

the question puzzled me for a long time. than you for being that specific. By the way, (excuse me for asking a stupid question) what do you mean by "I'd suggest you use this book as a volume of poetry"? In fact, i don't get the exact meaning of "volume of poetry" here? it seems to me the expression conveys a sense of humor. (whening reading "Book of Spells", i smiled as i thought i knew what you mean, but i could not get the meaning of "volume of poetry" here) could you explain,please? thank you.
    Yes, I can explain again. To say that a grammatical construction such as the use of the modal "can" can give an "airy feeling" is nonsense. I was being facetious by saying that it was a poetry book or a book of spells. "Airy feeling" belongs to poetry, not grammar.
    I suggested that you tell me what an airy feeling was simply because you have the book and I don't.
    I'm glad you caught the humour. I'll add smileys this time to remove any doubt. Though it somewhat diminishes the effect.

7. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • China

thank you again; have a good weekend. sincerely