1. Unregistered

for me, to me, for her, to her

My boyfriend is Brazilian and he is asking me if you would say, 'he's just like a father for her' or 'he's just like a father to her' 'he's just like a father to me' he's just like a father for me' i don't know how to explain the difference and which would you use.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: for me, to me, for her, to her

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My boyfriend is Brazilian and he is asking me if you would say, 'he's just like a father for her' or 'he's just like a father to her' 'he's just like a father to me' he's just like a father for me' i don't know how to explain the difference and which would you use.
    1. 'he's just like a father for her' means she feels towards him as a daughter would feel towards a father.
    2. 'he's just like a father to her' means that he treats her as if she were his daughter, OR the same as 1
    3. 'he's just like a father for me' means I feel towards him as a daughter would feel towards a father.
    4. 'he's just like a father to me' means he treats me like I was his own daughter, OR the same as 3.

I wouldn't use 1 with the explanation of 2; or 3 with the explanation of 4.
    5. "He's just like a father towards me" could mean the same as 4, but not 3.

That's how I see it.