• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question Re: QE2's final voyage (UK news)

Hello! I am reading a report about QE2 from the Daily Mail. I can't understand what the journalist means about the words I hightlighted in blue as below, though I understood each word of them. Could someone please paraphrase it for me? Thanks!

With multiple chins on his chest and one hand protecting his valuables, the former deputy prime minister slept through the loud music and bustle of people around him - and was still snoring when the band finished playing.

Then he ambled back to his cabin - reappearing a few hours later, none the worse for wear, to consume a man-size breakfast.

Mr Prescott, 70, was snapped by a fellow passenger as the QE2 sailed from Southampton to Scotland before heading for retirement duty as a floating hotel in Dubai.
    Man and ship have much in common. (One of them has a leviathan, instantly recognisable hull and has travelled all over the world. The other is a cruise liner).
    Had one too many? Worse-for-wear Prezza found fast asleep on QE2's final voyage | Mail Online

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: QE2's final voyage (UK news)

It's a silly joke. I don't think it works in English, and I don't think it would survive trnaslation.

Leviathan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was a sea-monster; it is sometimes used to refer to something very big. It is occasionally used as an adjective in this more general meaning. John Prescott is quite a bulky man. I've never heard a person's body referred to as a "hull", but the 'joke' is that the reader is supposed to think that 'One of them has a leviathan, instantly recognisable hull and has travelled all over the world' refers to the ship.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: QE2's final voyage (UK news)

Thank you for your help again, BobK. I have got some idea.