• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question none the worse for wear=? (2 Questions)

Hello! Could somone please answer the questions for me? Thanks!

Q1: What does "none the worse for wear" mean?

Q2: Why did the journalist stress it was a "man-size" breakfast?

With multiple chins on his chest and one hand protecting his valuables, the former deputy prime minister slept through the loud music and bustle of people around him - and was still snoring when the band finished playing.

Then he ambled back to his cabin - reappearing a few hours later, none the worse for wear, to consume a man-size breakfast.

Mr Prescott, 70, was snapped by a fellow passenger as the QE2 sailed from Southampton to Scotland before heading for retirement duty as a floating hotel in Dubai.
    Man and ship have much in common. (One of them has a leviathan, instantly recognisable hull and has travelled all over the world. The other is a cruise liner).
    Had one too many? Worse-for-wear Prezza found fast asleep on QE2's final voyage | Mail Online

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: none the worse for wear=? (2 Questions)

That he got through the exercise of whatever he was doing without apparently suffering. I don't see from the context here what exercise that could have been, in his cabin, but the phrase might make more sense in another context: "He went out into the city to fight his way through the tangle of traffic and returned, appearing none the less for wear. " That means that he looked just as good or comfortable or rested when he reappeared as he did when he left.

Q2: Why did the journalist stress it was a "man-size" breakfast?

The journalist is emphasizing the subject's size, obesity. Remember earlier he mentioned his "multiple chins"? Apparently he was so fat that his chins (plural emphasized) hung down in flabs of fat onto his chest.

I would have said man-sized, but that's not the question here.

Another person might have eaten "a light breakfast" or a "delicate breakfast" but this chomper filled his plate.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hello Jlinger,

Thank you for your help.

Is man-sized breakfast the jumbo food? And Are there any meals called woman-sized, children-sized?

I think the guy is a man and it is sure that he had a man-sized breakfast.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Restaurants often have what they call "children's portions" or a separate children's menu (it usually consists of kid-friendly food like hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, things like that). There are no "woman-sized meals" or anything like that. Usually "man-sized" is used to describe a large, hearty meal consisting of huge portions and good old fashioned artery-clogging foods like beef (no watercress salads or grilled fish filets).

There is a small restaurant about one hour north of where I live that specializes in "man sized portions." (They are located on I-75, a main expressway that runs from northern Michigan all the way down to Florida, so they get a lot of truck drivers as customers.) Anyway, here is what they call a "side order" of bacon. This is usually served along with a 12-egg omelette and a pile of hash brown potatoes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post

That he got through the exercise of whatever he was doing without apparently suffering. I don't see from the context here what exercise that could have been, in his cabin

I don't think any untoward exercise in his cabin was involved. In Br. English - apart from the more general meaning you mentioned - the expression is quite often used to mean "the worse for drink" (either drunk or with a hangover depending on context). Another similar expression - especially with reference to politicians - is 'tired and emotional'; this is used particularly with politicians because an MP in Westminster first used it to avoid saying "drunk" (which is 'unparliamentary language').

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hello Ousich,

Thank you very much for your answer. Then if I want to order a medium-sized or small-sized meal, are there any terms for them?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't think any untoward exercise in his cabin was involved. In Br. English - apart from the more general meaning you mentioned - the expression is quite often used to mean "the worse for drink" (either drunk or with a hangover depending on context). Another similar expression - especially with reference to politicians - is 'tired and emotional'; this is used particularly with politicians because an MP in Westminster first used it to avoid saying "drunk" (which is 'unparliamentary language').

b
    Hello BobK,

Tlhank you for your input. I see.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello Ousich,

Thank you very much for your answer. Then if I want to order a medium-sized or small-sized meal, are there any terms for them?

Not really. Most restaurant meals are designed for one person. Trust me, not all restaurants serve man-sized portions!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Not really. Most restaurant meals are designed for one person. Trust me, not all restaurants serve man-sized portions!
    Jumbo bucket of popcorn for you.

Thank you! I see.