• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

• Post Thanks / Like

to call (2)

Dion ready to call it quits. Liberal leader plans Monday statement. Expected to bow to mounting pressure. After several days clinging to hopes that he could find a way to stay on as Liberal leader, Stéphane Dion will emerge from his post-election seclusion on Monday, when he is expected by Liberal insiders to announce his exit plans.

I wonder what does ''call' mean in this context. Actually I am confused about the structure of the whole first sentence. Could someone help, please?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: to call (2)

The first "sentence" is not a sentence, but a headline, probably. Headlines don't follow traditional rules, to compress an idea into fewer words or less space.

To be a proper sentence, it might have been written as "Mr Dion is ready to call it quits."

To call it quits means to give up. His party was nearly routed in the election on Tueday, losing 19 seats, and he is being blamed for this. We expect on Monday that he will resign as Leader of his party, call it quits. He will hold his elected seat for his own riding, but the Liberal party will have to call a convention (in May, it will be) to elect a new leader. His resignation will take effect at that time.

I hope!