Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #1

    quite/some

    Quite= a little
    Some= a small amount ,a little

    If both has the same meaning , why do we say THERE WAS QUITE SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN ? Can't we say THERE WAS SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN? Why writing quite is must?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #2

    Re: quite/some

    Quote Originally Posted by Roselin View Post
    Quite= a little
    Some= a small amount ,a little

    If both has the same meaning , why do we say THERE WAS QUITE SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN ? Can't we say THERE WAS SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN? Why writing quite is must?
    "Quite" doesn't mean "a little"; it means "more than a little; perhaps even much"
    "Some" doesn't necessarily mean "a little".
    They don't have the same meaning.
    1. THERE WAS QUITE SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN ?
    2. THERE WAS SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN?
    I would say that 1. suggests more time remaining than 2.
    "Quite" and "some" are both words whose meaning cannot be quantified and ranked. They are deliberately vague, because the speaker intends to make only a vague statement.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #3

    Smile Re: quite/some

    Quote Originally Posted by Roselin View Post
    Quite= a little
    Some= a small amount ,a little

    If both has the same meaning , why do we say THERE WAS QUITE SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN ? Can't we say THERE WAS SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN? Why writing quite is must?
    To me, quite some is something different to the words quite and some put seperately in the sentence; quite some = a lot of; plenty.


  4. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #4

    Re: quite/some

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Quite" doesn't mean "a little"; it means "more than a little; perhaps even much"
    "Some" doesn't necessarily mean "a little".
    They don't have the same meaning.
    1. THERE WAS QUITE SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN ?
    2. THERE WAS SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN?
    I would say that 1. suggests more time remaining than 2.
    "Quite" and "some" are both words whose meaning cannot be quantified and ranked. They are deliberately vague, because the speaker intends to make only a vague statement.
    Thanks a lot for your reply!

  5. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #5

    Re: quite/some

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    To me, quite some is something different to the words quite and some put seperately in the sentence; quite some = a lot of; plenty.

    Thanks for giving your opinion. I appreciate that!


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #6

    Re: quite/some

    'some' has the meaning:
    1. an unspecified amount or number of : "I made some money running errands." "I made some money wheeling and dealing on the money market."

    and
    2. at least a small amount or number : "He liked some of my music but he's mainly an opera fan."

    and
    3. a considerable amount or number of : "He went to some trouble on my behalf."
    "I've known him for some years now."

    Because of these various meanings, we are able to indicate more clearly 'how much' by using 'quite' which has one meaning of 'fairly significant extent or degree'

    1. THERE WAS QUITE SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN
    2. THERE WAS SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN?


    Neither of the sentences is grammatically correct. Let's fix that up first:


    1. IT TOOK SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN
    (There was some time before the class began)
    2. IT TOOK QUITE SOME TIME FOR CLASS TO BEGIN
    (There was quite some time before the class began)
    As written, 'some' in sentence 1 has the meaning somewhere between 'at least a small amount' and 'considerable', though more towards the 'considerable' end.
    Hence, the use of 'quite' in (2) modifies this and makes it clear that the meaning is definitely 'considerable'.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •