• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

multi word verbs

Does anybody know about this ?
    Phrasal Verbs and other multi-word verbs

multi-word verbsprepositional verbslook afterphrasal verbslook up.phrasal-prepositional verbslook forward to

I was studying phrasal verbs. I understand that LOOK AFTER is a prepostional verb becuase it has the prepostion AFTER . But what about LOOK UP, it also has the preposition UP , why is it not a prepostional verb but phrasal verb ?
    please clear my confusion.

Re: multi word verbs

See if this dispels that cloud of confusion.

English Grammar: Phrasal Verbs | EnglishClub.com

Note that above the Bold Phrasal Verbs title, there is a horizontal tab which you Click on and it takes you to the respective page for Prepositiional Verbs etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    See if this dispels that cloud of confusion.

English Grammar: Phrasal Verbs | EnglishClub.com

Note that above the Bold Phrasal Verbs title, there is a horizontal tab which you Click on and it takes you to the respective page for Prepositiional Verbs etc.
    I was reading about the phrasal verbs on this wsebsite (Englishclub) only. My question is why they have put get up and break down in the phrasal verbs column. up and down are prepositions so they should be in prepositional verbs,no?

'up' is a preposition when it governs the noun it precedes.
    In ' get up' as in "I had to get up to go to school." where is the noun it governs, as in "I climbed up the stairs."?
    'up' can also be used as an adverb, as in 'get up' and hence has been classed with phrasal verbs.

Similarly, the difference between 'down the stairs' and 'the car broke down'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

'up' is a preposition when it governs the noun it precedes.
    In ' get up' as in "I had to get up to go to school." where is the noun it governs, as in "I climbed up the stairs."?
    'up' can also be used as an adverb, as in 'get up' and hence has been classed with phrasal verbs.

Similarly, the difference between 'down the stairs' and 'the car broke down'.
    OHOOO......so, thats the differenceee.... Now it is clear !!

In climbing up the stairs , up is for stairss... but in getting up, there is no noun for up , i mean it is not showing direction towards something......right???

Right!
    Isn't it nice when we have a sudden insight and realize something and know we've taken a big step forward in our learning and understanding!

(Did you see the information I posted about your query: "The President was glad to know that the war was finally over.")?
    Last edited by David L.; 20-Oct-2008 at 16:36.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Right!
    Isn't it nice when we have a sudden insight and realize something and know we've taken a big step forward in our learning and understanding!

(Did you see the information I posted about your query: "The President was glad to know that the war was finally over.")?
    Yeah, I have read that post too and understood also what you wanted to explain. It's really nice that I am taking not big but small small steps towards learning and understanding English. I am really thankful to all the people who slove our problems and remove our doubts. It is because of you people, my interest to learn more about this language is developing day by day. Earlier I had nobody to tell my doubts and problem. I got stuck most of the time whenever tried to read and understand something. Since nobody was there to clear my path by removing the doubts and lead me further, I was losing my interest. But now everything seems ok. I spend most of the time learning English.
    Thanks to all of you for your selfless service that you all are providing !!!