• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

''on par''

"Our Canadian sales are on par with 2007 and may even surpass it by the time we finish."

Hi,
    I wonder if "on par" means "at the same level" and if this expression can be used informally, like in "Olga's and Cristina's English are on par!", please.
    I also would like to know if there's a better and more popular expression to convey this idea please.
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: ''on par''

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    "Our Canadian sales are on par with 2007 and may even surpass it by the time we finish."

Hi,
    I wonder if "on par" means "at the same level" and if this expression can be used informally, like in "Olga's and Cristina's English are on par!", please.
    I also would like to know if there's a better and more popular expression to convey this idea please.
    Thanks!
    It's more common to say:
    "Olga's and Cristina's English are on a par!"
    "Olga's English is on par with Cristina's!"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: ''on par''

I’m not a teacher.

Hi jctgf,

on a par with = as good as, equal to, as in

“This violinist may be an amateur but he's on a par with professional orchestral players. “

“What this means for German society as a whole became clear to me when I read that the wealthiest Germans are not the blue-blooded Hohenzollerns or the Thurn and Taxis family, but the Albrecht brothers who, with 32 billion euros in their coffers are on a par with Bill Gates and the heirs of Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart.”

“The abduction of Hanns-Martin Schleyer, President of the German employers association, which lasted one and a half months, and which ended with his murder, the so-called German Autumn, can certainly not be put on a par with such major historical events as the fall of the Berlin Wall on 9 November 1989.”

Regards,

V.