1. Unregistered

U.S. and U.S.A?

What is the difference between U.S. and U.S.A?

For example,

I came from the US/USA
    This is made in the US/USA

When do one use US and when do one use USA

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Re: U.S. and U.S.A?

Oh, this one's not too hard, so I might be of some help here, even though I'm not a teacher.

What is the difference between U.S. and U.S.A?
    Apparently the 'A', which makes clear(er) that both abbreviations stand for the United States (of America).

When do one use US and when do one use USA
    It really makes no difference, unless you'd like to make sure, that everyone is aware you're speaking about America -- and not about any other "United States".

In America, they mostly drop the 'A', as is it is obvious which states are meant. But elsewhere this is quite similar. U.S.A. is just more complete and practically always used in formal instances, as for example printed on commercial products: "Made in USA"

Bye...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I imagine almost nobody would get confused. For lack of sufficient knowledge, I may be wrong, but wouldn't Mexico be sometimes called "United States of Mexico"? Therefore, to be more precise, U.S.A. would be better, wouldn't it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Last edited by LeMoyne; 21-Oct-2008 at 00:40.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think people here is familiar with calling their country "The States," are they?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I don't think the Mexicans would be confused. Their country is called Los Estados Unidos de Mexico (pardon my lack of accented characters on this keyboard). I've never seen it abbreviated as E.U.M., but there is certainly no suggestion that it would ever be short-formed to U.S.M.

By the way, if I may be permitted a comment in my newly crowned role as Prescriptionist, regarding the United States: It is spelled out as a noun, and abbreviated U.S. only as an adjective. It always uses periods except when referring to currency. In other words, "United States" is not an adjective; "U.S." is not a noun; and the currency is expressed as US or USD.

And I rather think (from having lived on both sides), that more Canadians refer to "the States" (always capitalized, by the way), than would Americans. And American is the internationally accepted term for a citizen of the United States; you won't find a Venezuelan or Mexican or Canadian calling themselves an American.
    Last edited by jlinger; 21-Oct-2008 at 03:01.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

A bit going off on a tangent, U.S. expatriate ham radio operators call back home "the States side."

Nothing important. Please just forget what I mentioned here.

Hiro