reorient

Hi,

What does "reorient" mean in this context? I can not find this word in the Oxford Dictionary I use. Then when I tried to look up this word in OneLook reorient - OneLook Dictionary Search . The definition for this word is different in these dictionaries. I am confused that I do not know what this one means in this context. I hope someone could take look for me.

Thanks for your help.

Professor: ... ... A hormone is a chemical signal. It's produced by one part of the body and is then transported to other parts of the body, where it triggers responses in cells and tissues. The concept of chemical messengers in plants first emerged from a series of classic experiments on how plant stems respond to light. Think about this. A houseplant on a windowsill grows toward light. If you rotate the plant, it will soon reorient its growth until its leaves again face the window. The growth of a plant toward light is called "phototropism". ... ...

Re: reorient

To orient [also: orientate] means to align or position relative to the points of a compass or other specified positions.

To reorient means to reposition in relation to a point.

In this context, a plant that is turned round will re-angle its leaves towards the nearest and strongest light.

Re: reorient

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    To orient [also: orientate] means to align or position relative to the points of a compass or other specified positions.

To reorient means to reposition in relation to a point.

In this context, a plant that is turned round will re-angle its leaves towards the nearest and strongest light.

Thanks, Anglika. I get it.