• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

shall/should/do

I want to send a link to someone. I am asking whether I send it to her or not. Which of the following sentences should I use in this context?

Do I send you the link? / Should I send you the link? / Shall I send you the link?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: shall/should/do

Shall I send you the link?

"Shall I/we" is used to make a suggestion

• Post Thanks / Like

I want to send a link to someone. I am asking whether I send it to her or not.

I want to send a link to someone. I am asking whether she would like me to send it to her or not.

If you know she wants it; or you are telling her some information is ready to send to her, you might ask:
    Do I send it (to your personal email address or to your office?)

If you are uncertain and need advice:
    Do you think I should send the information to John as well? You know how he complains about the amount of email he gets; but I think it's important he's aware of this, just in case.

In your sentence, lucalita009 has picked the appropriate wording.
    Last edited by David L.; 21-Oct-2008 at 18:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    I want to send a link to someone. I am asking whether I send it to her or not.

I want to send a link to someone. I am asking whether she would like me to send it to her or not.

If you know she wants it; or you are telling her some information is ready to send to her, you might ask:
    Do I send it (to your personal email address or to your office?)

If you are uncertain and need advice:
    Do you think I should send the information to John as well? You know how he complains about the amount of email he gets; but I think it's important he's aware of this, just in case.

In your sentence, lucalita009 has picked the appropriate wording.
    WOW! This is a good explanation. I liked it. But you know, I knew she wanted it but was just asking for her acceptance. So, in that case as you have suggested me above, DO I SEND IT sounds ok, no? I used the same sentence then I thought perhaps I have used an incorrect sentence. I must have used shall I send......

But since you are saying DO I SEND......is also correct then I was right too....uh??

• Post Thanks / Like

i think he said 'Do I send you the link' is right

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wanda83 View Post
    i think he said 'Do I send you the link' is right
    Yes , do I send the link . I deliberately left the sentence incomplete. I have typed ".........", if you see it again which means there are other words too.

• Post Thanks / Like

I knew she wanted it but was just asking for her acceptance.

I think you mean that you know your friend was interested in finding out about this link, but at this time when you are sending the email, she does not know that you have found it. So, your email is letting her know that you have it and asking her if she would like you to send it to her, knowing that she will say yes, and you are just being polite.

To ask her, "Do I send you the link?" is still asking her for her advice. Why? You are asking her politely whether she would like you to send her the link.
    So:

Shall I send you the link?
    Would you like me to send you the link?
    "Are you still looking for/wanting this link? I could send it to you." (if you are unsure whether, since you last had contact, she might have found the link herself and no longer need it."

Say you sent your email to your friend, whom you hadn't spoken to for some time; and she emailed back a long letter, saying nice to hear from you and all that's been happening to her...and totally forgets to say, 'yes please, send me the link'. Then you might email back
    "You didn't mention in your last email - Do you want me to send you the link?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Once again, thanks for explaining it in detail!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

one more sentence....

They should marry now or they should get married now. which one is correct?

• Post Thanks / Like

Both. 'get married' is the more usual, colloquial expression.

There was a time when people met and formed a relationship...and did not live together (cohabit) and have sex and kids if they were not married. Not, and be regarded as 'respectable'.

That changed, and people just live together for years and have kids, just as if they are a married couple. So, if they then decide to marry, 'they have been living together, and now they have decided to get married."
    The use of 'get' tends to be appropriate in that it has the sense, 'theyve lived as if married, now they are actually going to get married.'
    It is the norm now for people to meet, and start sleeping together from the start. It's like, 'get married' has the idea of 'actually go through a marriage service, have a wedding' after some time, as opposed to continuing pretty much as if they are married but without the piece of paper.