Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #1

    Question Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    Hello! The surname of Bernstein reminds me of Einstein.

    Is it possible that most people whose surnames have the surfix of "stein" have Hebrew ancestry? Thanks!

  2. SUDHKAMP's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 21,215
    #2

    Re: Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello! The surname of Bernstein reminds me of Einstein.

    Is it possible that most people whose surnames have the surfix of "stein" have Hebrew ancestry? Thanks!
    It is not a Hebrew term but rather a German term.
    As per etymology, bernstein has derived as follows:
    bern>brennen(to burn, to put on fire, to have a light) + Stein(something hard, stone, kernel, rock), thus the word collectively means amber
    The above term is of Old High German.

    Einstein is also a german term and it has nothing to do with Hebrew.

    Hebrew is more similar to Arabic.

    B.T.W. thedaffodils, I always recommend learners of English to learn dictionary reading, which includes etymology, orthography, pronounciation gazzetteer and usages of each word.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #3

    Re: Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    And that said, in the US, where Jews immigrated from Germany and other places and more often than not took new names I would expect someone named Bernstein, Goldstein, Silverstein, Goldman, Silverman, Goldberg, or Greenberg to be Jewish. Yes, the "stein" ending, particularly when pronounced as "steen" tends to be Jewish.

    Note that Einstein's name is said as though both syllables rhymed with wine. That's the German pronunciation. Americans have trouble with the ei, ie thing in German names.

    {not a teacher, but of Greenberg lineage}

  4. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #4

    Re: Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    Hi SUDHKAMP,

    Thank you for your answer and suggestion.

  5. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #5

    Re: Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    Hello Barb_D,

    Thank you for your answer.

    {not a teacher, but of Greenberg lineage}
    I run into an expert of Hebrew surnames.

  6. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    And that said, in the US, where Jews immigrated from Germany and other places and more often than not took new names I would expect someone named Bernstein, Goldstein, Silverstein, Goldman, Silverman, Goldberg, or Greenberg to be Jewish. Yes, the "stein" ending, particularly when pronounced as "steen" tends to be Jewish.

    Note that Einstein's name is said as though both syllables rhymed with wine. That's the German pronunciation. Americans have trouble with the ei, ie thing in German names.

    {not a teacher, but of Greenberg lineage}
    Ouisch had something interesting to say about this in another thread - about a year ago, I think. Try searching for 'Bernstein'.

    b

  7. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #7

    Re: Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Ouisch had something interesting to say about this in another thread - about a year ago, I think. Try searching for 'Bernstein'.

    b
    Hello BobK,

    Thank you very much. I got it.

    Here's the URL link.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...bernstein.html

  8. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: Is Bernstein a Hebrew surname?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello BobK,

    Thank you very much. I got it.

    Here's the URL link.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...bernstein.html


    There's lots of good stuff there, but the post I remember linked the /sti:n/ pronunciation in a lot of films/TV with the predominance of actors in LA with a Yiddish background.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Surname or Lastname
    By ali.a.m in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2008, 10:00
  2. Bernstein
    By meliss in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-Feb-2007, 07:27
  3. a question about first name and surname?
    By forrest in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2005, 09:15
  4. Cate Blanchett:How do you pronounce Cate's surname?
    By ripley in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2005, 03:07
  5. Pronounciation of a surname
    By ripley in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2004, 23:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •