Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    When to use "have decided" and "decided"

    Please give me examples of the way to use "have decided" instead of "decided" and explain about when to use each of them. Are they sometimes interchangeable?


    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #2

    Re: When to use "have decided" and "decided"

    Quote Originally Posted by sudarawee View Post
    Please give me examples of the way to use "have decided" instead of "decided" and explain about when to use each of them. Are they sometimes interchangeable?


    Thanks
    Man propose, God dispose. Sudarawee, you could get the answers if you understand the usage of the Past Simple tense and the Present Perfect. Go to here and get the jackpot yourself. (I'm, as always, not a NET)


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #3

    Re: When to use "have decided" and "decided"

    albertino

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #4

    Re: When to use "have decided" and "decided"

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    Man propose, God dispose. Sudarawee, you could get the answers if you understand the usage of the Past Simple tense and the Present Perfect. Go to here and get the jackpot yourself. (I'm, as always, not a NET)
    But many of those sentences could just as easily use simple past tense.

  2. #5

    Re: When to use "have decided" and "decided"

    Sorry for not making my question clear. Please allow me to give you some examples.

    I decided to become a pilot in the future.

    I have decided to become a pilot in the future.

    Can we use both since the decision to become someone does not happen yet but it is something we already decided to do?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #6

    Re: When to use "have decided" and "decided"

    Quote Originally Posted by sudarawee View Post
    Sorry for not making my question clear. Please allow me to give you some examples.

    I decided to become a pilot in the future.

    I have decided to become a pilot in the future.

    Can we use both since the decision to become someone does not happen yet The decision has 'happened'. Becoming a pilot hasn't happened yet. but it is something we already decided to do?
    If you (have) decided something about the future, you can use "decided" or "have decided". This can be something that you recently decided, or maybe you decided it a while ago but you are just now announcing it to the people you are taking to.

    I (have) decided to become a pilot after I graduate from university.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •