• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question Re: Madonna

Madonna has been based in New York over the last few weeks as she performs North American dates on her Sticky & Sweet World Tour, while Guy is continuing to live in the couple's London townhouse while he directs his new film Sherlock Holmes.
    Despite putting on a brave face on stage, friends of Madonna said she is devastated by the negative criticism she has received in the media since the break-up.
    A source said: 'Guy Ritchie is a fake and a phoney. He is not a macho man. Not an English lad. Not a gentleman. Not spiritual.

In the divorce, the couple are expected to battle over their Marylebone home and their country estate in Wiltshire.
    Hello! The snippet is from the Daily Mail. Could someone help me out from the following questions? Thanks!

Q1: What's the difference between "fake" and "phoney"? Isn't it tautolgoy?

Q2: I suppose Madonna's husband is around 40-50 years old. But why did the guy comment on that - he is not an English lad. A lad is a young man, isn't he?

Q3: What does "no spirtual" mean?

Re: Madonna

#1>> There is a difference in that A fake = someone who is not what or whom they say they are / A phoney = someone who is not sincere or not real.

#2 As with "guy", "lad" can be used as an informal term for a man who is relatively young. It is often used as a slightly pejorative term for someone who is not well-behaved. Not knowing who this source is, I cannot think why he says Ritchie is not an English lad - he seems to me very much an English lad.

#3 Madonna is currently heavily into Kabbalah and all that involves. She has also had a long interest in religious matters, as shown by her songs. Ritchie is not involved, so as an insult he is described as "not spiritual". I don't think he ever thought he was.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello! The snippet is from the Daily Mail. Could someone help me out from the following questions? Thanks!

Q1: What's the difference between "fake" and "phoney"? Isn't it tautolgoy?

Q2: I suppose Madonna's husband is around 40-50 years old. But why did the guy comment on that - he is not an English lad. A lad is a young man, isn't he?

Q3: What does "no spirtual" mean?
    Thedaffodils,
    I believe the meaning of above pointwise is as follows:-
    1) Fake means which is not real, duplicate
    Phoney means something which is being shown off, pretended to be
    thought in the above case it used more as a tautology.

2) Lad here does'nt mean a young man but a person

3) Not spiritual means who is not having the proper spirit or one who is not having good idealogy.

P.S. : I am not a teacher of English language. But just someone who loves the language.

SUDHKAMP

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Anglika and SUDHKAMP,

Thank you for your help.