Unhappy grammar-why no one answers my tru/false thread

_ __ Migrations to the Middle East happened only once after the Second World War.
    __ West Germany absorbed refugees when it was near to the war in Europe
    __ Both Hispanics and illegal immigrants had roles in Burgeoning California.
    __ The US was a multicultural society before migration of different groups of people to it.
    __ The migration of Europeans of Africa south of the Sahara influenced the history of African countries a lot.

hi, whats the reason for not answering my previous question. t/f questions??????

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: grammar-why no one answers my tru/false thread

I don't understand your questions, frankly. I can understand you are asking why no one answered your other thread; I have no idea why. But I cannot understand what you are asking for in the five sentences you have posted above.

_ __ Migrations to the Middle East happened only once after the Second World War.

FALSE Okay, I say false, this sounds crazy. I bet lots of people migrate to the Middle East, especially from African countries like Somalia that have Muslim populations that are being affected by violence.

HUH? I don't understand this sentence, because "near to the war" is confusing. I would rewrite it: West Germany absorbed refugees (from ?) soon after the Second World War.

TRUE: This sentence is perfect EXCEPT you would not capitalize Burgeoning. Burgeoning means "growing quickly," so it's just an adjective. It is the same as saying "... had roles in rapidly growing California."

__ The US was a multicultural society before migration of different groups of people to it.
    TRUE This is an interesting idea! It basically says, "There were different people in the US before people came to the US." That sounds very funny. BUT I think it is true because North America had many different Native American tribes before Europeans started to come. To really make this clear you should write, "The US was a multicultural society before the 1600's, when migration of different groups from Europe, Asia, and Africa increased the population.

__ The migration of Europeans of Africa south of the Sahara influenced the history of African countries a lot.
    HUH? Who influenced African countries, Europeans that are already in South Africa, or Europeans from Europe? This is a little hard to figure out, I would not be happy with this question on a test.

Are you making a test for your English students?????

Quote Originally Posted by jma View Post

FALSE Okay, I say false, this sounds crazy. I bet lots of people migrate to the Middle East, especially from African countries like Somalia that have Muslim populations that are being affected by violence.

HUH? I don't understand this sentence, because "near to the war" is confusing. I would rewrite it: West Germany absorbed refugees (from ?) soon after the Second World War.

TRUE: This sentence is perfect EXCEPT you would not capitalize Burgeoning. Burgeoning means "growing quickly," so it's just an adjective. It is the same as saying "... had roles in rapidly growing California."

TRUE This is an interesting idea! It basically says, "There were different people in the US before people came to the US." That sounds very funny. BUT I think it is true because North America had many different Native American tribes before Europeans started to come. To really make this clear you should write, "The US was a multicultural society before the 1600's, when migration of different groups from Europe, Asia, and Africa increased the population.

HUH? Who influenced African countries, Europeans that are already in South Africa, or Europeans from Europe? This is a little hard to figure out, I would not be happy with this question on a test.

Are you making a test for your English students?????
    tnx for ur help. i prepare myself for doing so

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Quote Originally Posted by zohreh_am View Post
    Thanks for your help. I am preparing myself for doing so
    Hi zohreh, you might want to improve you spelling first.

Quote Originally Posted by zohreh_am View Post

hi, whats the reason for not answering my previous question. t/f questions??????
    Because we do hope that people will make the effort to answer the questions, post their answers and then we can comment. We are not in the business of doing assignments for people.