• Post Thanks / Like

I need help!

Hello! I'm a new English language teacher, having recently graduated with a certificate in teaching English to non-native learners. I landed my first job right away with a private tutoring sector, where I need to teach two kids (10 and 13 years old) for four hours every day. HOW DO YOU TEACH 1 - to - 2 for FOUR HOURS EVERY DAY???

I have no idea how to do this without burning out. And should I separate those brothers according to their level? Or what...? I need advice!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need help!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but you're concerned about burnout due to having to teach for four hours each day? Or is it the fact that you're teaching one-on-one (or one-on-two) for four hours, as opposed to an entire classroom? (I guess I'm confused because most teachers work eight plus hours per day.)

If the brothers are on the same level English-wise (that is, neither one speaks it), I think you could teach them together for a while until they get a bit more fluent. If they're both starting from scratch with vocabulary, etc, then it's easier for you to teach them together, and they can also help each other after lessons since they're studying the same curriculum.